Sign in to follow this  

Problem with Alpha channel using glCopyTexImage2D

This topic is 4778 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am having what seems to be a very simple (but very frustrating) problem with glCopyTexImage2D, it seems to not ever copy the alpha channel. I know that the alpha channel is working because I use it in other parts of my app., and I know that my alpha blending is set up properly because I can make the texture fade in and out by adjusting the alpha value passed to glColor4f. The RGB channels copy correctly, and even when I set the internal format at GL_ALPHA I still seem to get only Alpha values of 1. Here is the bit of code concerned:
[SOURCE]
	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D,op->tsqr[(loc.y*op->nsqx)+loc.x]);

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);

glCopyTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, 0, 0, 64, 64, 0);

[/SOURCE]
[/source] Thanks for any help, ~SPH

Thanks for the reply but I couldn't make much sense of it,

What does glTexSubImage2D (I assume that you were referring to this) have to do with the problem? And what does "dst_alpha" have to do with it?

glCopyTexImage2D copies a part of the framebuffer into a texture, in case you didn't know...

Thanks for all help, ~SPH

zedzeek was saying that your framebuffer needs alpha to be able to retrieve it. check the value of GL_ALPHA_BITS. If it's zero you cannot get back the alpha from the framebuffer (using CopyTexImage, ReadPixels or blending). You may have to explicitely request a destination with alpha when you create your window.

Quote:
Original post by ShmeeBegekI know that the alpha channel is working because I use it in other parts of my app.,

Beware, a "working alpha channel" in OpenGL means two things : a working alpha component in the framebuffer, or a working alpha component of a texture. It seems you're talking about the latter since you're telling that alpha blending works. However, you also need to make the former working, which roughly can be checked by GL_ALPHA_BITS as Zongo pointed out.
/* once the GL context is valid : */
GLint alpha_bits;
glGetIntegerv(GL_ALPHA_BITS, &alpha_bits);
printf("The framebuffer uses %d bit(s) per the alpha component\n", alpha_bits);
fflush(stdout);

Hello again,

I did this last night and did in fact find that I have 0 alpha bits, this is rather aggervating because I am using GLUT and the GLUT documentation states that RGBA should provide and alpha channel and that RGB is an alias for it. In fact it is the opposite, RGBA is an alias for RGB.

Does anyone know how to get an Alpha channel with GLUT? Or should I resort to SDL or WINAPI for my little test app.?

Thanks, ~SPH

(NOTE: Perhaps I just have an old GLUT version?)
(EDIT: I have checked and I have GLUT 3.7.6, which is the latest release and which is officially documented as having an RGBA mode as said before... but which does not in fact)

This topic is 4778 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.