Sign in to follow this  
xHuTcHx

searching for schools

My name is Mike, I live in the Ormond Beach are in Florida. I moved down here a little under a year ago from Long Island, NY and I am now seriously looking into college as my graduation date nears. Although I am graduating early (mid Dec), I won't be going to school until the Fall Semester of 2005. I have been studying up a great deal trying to find what school has the best programs to get my foot in the door on the video game development field. I have had this passion for games like many of you, and that is what i want to be involved in. Some basic C++ skills is where I'm at right now, just trying to stay recent There are a lot of knowledegable people around this site, some who are in the fields I can only hope to be one day. The only school that I have actually visited exclusively for there Videogame Design/Dev. program is Fullsail in Winter Park, Orlando. They have a nice campus and offer a Bachelor of Science Degree with the program. I am really open to anybody who has anything to say on this topic, any input is greatly appreciated. This is a very big decision I am going to be making, so I thought I'd come to the source

Guest Anonymous Poster
Going to any college (including fullsail/digipen) doesn't mean you're going to get your foot in the door. It all comes down to your portfolio. Make sure you start on a solid portfolio as soon as you can and continue to build up on it. This includes code snipplets, demos, research papers, projects, software, etc. Get involved with some independent projects, like a mod, small 2d/3d game, software, etc as well. Sourceforge comes very handy for the above.

Most people will tell you to go to a regular university and just get a CS or CIS degree, and I would have to agree with them. But either way, I wish you the best of luck.