how to set up a MySQL server ?

Started by
5 comments, last by acraig 19 years, 5 months ago
hi, i've been searching the forums and reading through some threads, but i still can't find any explanation of this.. google only turns up info on MySQL with web page related stuff.. anyway, does anyone know how to set up a MySQL server? i really just don't know where to begin or how it works exactly. do i need something like Apache ? how does it work? i've used Oracle and PL/SQL in the past, but the server was already set up (run by my school) and we just used the (crappy) SQL+ command line. thanks for any help.
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Advertisement
You don't need apache installed to set up a mysql server. The docs that come with the software are very thorough, and have an entire selection on beginning the server, setting it to run as a service etc.

I would really recommend reading them.
Which platform will be proposed to install the mysql server? windows or linux?
linux distributions usually have mysql packaged for you. Installing it is usually a single command.
I was thinking of moving this thread, as it's not networking or multiplayer related, but there's not a good forum. I guess if your server is Linux, you could move to Everything UNIX, but you're not saying.

Perhaps we should be the Networking, Multiplayer and Databases forum? (I can see the VB WinForms questions come flooding in already -- forget I suggested that :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
hi,

sorry for putting it in the wrong forum. thanks for the replies everyone. i downloaded the package and got a server and DB set up.

anyway, i have a MySQL question. im used to Oracle with sequences, and i know MySQL has an AUTO_INCREMENT thing. anyway, i have one of my fields labeled with AUTO_INCREMENT.. my question is, what do i put in the insert statement for this field? i tried leaving it blank, but i get an error about leaving the field blank..

thanks for any help.
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
You should be able to do something like

INSERT INTO tableName (columName1, columnName2) VALUES ( value1, value2 );

( assuming the auto_increment field is not columnName1 or 2! )

That should then automatically update the field that is auto_increment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement