Programming for kids - what to start with?

Started by
34 comments, last by paulecoyote 19 years, 5 months ago
Managed to find the links I was looking for

LiveWires - a python course from a kids summer camp - aimed at 12-15 year olds.

Also Guido van Robot
Advertisement
Thanks guys for all your answers. It'll take me some time to screen all your suggestions.

Quote:Original post by SiCrane
Umm... seeing as Lutz's from line is listed as "Bremen, Germany" and he specifically request German verions, I think it's somewhat likely that the nephew already might speak some German.

The reason why I request a German version is the following: Since my nephew is only 12, his English is not that good (he's native German). It would make the learning process much easier if at least the documentation of the software and/or a programming book was in German.

Personally, I suggest you start with a 'real' language (like Lisp, C++, C#/*.Net, Java, Python, etc and NOT *Basic or Logo or 'Draw Lines To Program' GUI-type systems) and instead of making your nephew do everything, start out with tons of 'black boxes' made by yourself. That way the nephew can learn the easy stuff first like the logic and can just call magic functions like 'PlaySound'(in German maybe) that are easier to use than Win/Linux API.

That way, he/she can learn to program now and can over time learn how the black boxes work. Since they're already made, he/she can change things and see what happens instead of having to figure out how to make it in the first place. The last step in learning the fundamentals would be figuring out how to use MSDN/Google/Etc to recreate the functions himself/herself.

Of course, this requires a lot of work on your part, but I really think it is probably the best way to start somebody since they gain 'real experience with real languages'
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
I think Python would be a good idea for a young beginner. It's a simple, powerful language.
I agree, go for Python.

Use pyGame to set up an environment for your nephew. Create some easy-to-use functions with German names which produces a lot out output and graphics. Easy to begin with and not as boring as text output, they need not be very generic or flexible. Hide all complexities in the beginning, introduce more gradually.
Lutz: your planet rendering video is cool.
Delphiu is pretty good for simple apps and has some quite advanced features (OO, Events, Polymorphism) should he ever wish to dig deep and get in that far. It's also a 'proper' language and is used for developing real applications (not usually games tho). And best of all the personal edition is (or at least was last time I checked) free from Borland's website.

Neil
WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
I started with c++ at 12. So I think he could probally do it. Though I needed to learn it to use on mindstorms for a robotics competition my school was in. If I had wanted to learn game programming right away I might have gotten bored with it.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
I taught QBASIC to little kids of about eight or nine years old at a summer camp last year. Some kids picked it up without much trouble, but I spent a lot of time explaining really basic concepts (variables and loops and such).

I don't know if that'd be good for a twelve-year-old, though. We usually sent kids around twelve to do Java stuff, or if they had a decent programming background, we let them do C++. So, I guess I would suggest giving Java a shot. It's simple enough so that he can pick up basic programming concepts, and the forced OO environment might be good to enforce good programming practices.
D:
I thing that C and C++ are unsuitable to start someone with at the age of 12.

The are of cource some game-dev programming languages like
DarkBasic, 3D Gamemaker, Blitz...
VB.NET seems more appropriate to me, it's easy to use and it's
"DirectX-Aware".
Or use VB.NET with TrueVision3D library.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement