Sign in to follow this  

Gunshot Sound Synthesis

This topic is 4777 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has anybody had any success synthesizing gunshot sounds? I'm about to try and create some but am unsure of which method to use in order to do this. I would rather create my own from scratch if possible using subtractive and FM synthesis methods to generate the sound. I'd be interested to know the particular sounds which make up the typical gunshot so that I could attempt this process as I have little knowledge of guns. Failing this I'm going to use samples to generate the sounds which I have done before, but lacking access to any real guns means that I have to be creative and use alternative sounds and then edit them to get them sounding gunlike. This has worked well in the past, but I'd just quite the flexibility of having complete control over the sounds that I want to produce. Many thanks in advance

Gun shots are, i find, one of the hardest sounds to get right. Mostly due to the film industry forcing gunshots that sound more like cannons down audience's throats for the last fifty years. Actual guns sound pretty pathetic in real life and i usually end up putting them through so much processing that they're unrecognisable to the source file.

I personally really wouldn't want to use any sort of synthesis to create a gun shot. I'd try to record something instead. If you really cant get access to any munitions, try fireworks and stuff like that. Alternatively things like industrial staple guns can get close.

Or, try the layering approach of breaking the gun shot down (in you mind) into it's specific componants and try to recreate each component and mix them together.

cheers :)

if you really want to synthesise rather than record, try grabbing someone elses sample you like, then viewing it closely in a wave editor. Try to decide what kind of waves are generated where in the sound.

If all else fails, stick a snare drum sound through some effects. A nice tight snare drum rim shot sounds remarkably like a gunshot.
Again, if you want to synthesise, you could use the snare drum synthesising priciple of short low frequency tone+longer noise started simultaneously.

This topic is 4777 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.