2D First Person Shooter

Started by
6 comments, last by Lord_Jabbercat 19 years, 5 months ago
Hello, Could anyone please tell me how I would go about drawing, what the player sees to screen in a 2d FPS? Im using SDL but I have no experience in First person work. Also, Im thinking more dungeon crawl, to Doom! :P Many thanks, Lord Jabbercat~
Advertisement
A 2D First-Person shooter would mean that your camera is on the plane that contains all the sprites around you. Therefore, all you have to do is render a horizontal or vertical line (depending on whether it's a top-down or side-scrolling shooter).

Could you explain better what you intend to do, or at least give an example?
I think he means a 2.5D game, such as the original Wolfenstein, or a restricted-camera-movement engine such as Doom 2. In that case, read up on raycasting (in the context of game engines) and you'll find a whole bunch of info.

Otherwise, what ToohrVyk said. :)

check out lode's tutorials
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Very sorry, I should have worded my message better! I am intending to write a FPS, but I don't want to get into any of the complicated 3D math, so Im going for 2.5D!

What Im worndering is how I define what the player is looking at. Im pretty sure I can mange "ahead" but it is working out what the player sees every time they turn is my problem. Thank you for your replies, and the link is most helpful.
~Jabbercat
Quote:Original post by Lord_Jabbercat
I don't want to get into any of the complicated 3D math, so Im going for 2.5D!

i'm not really sure if it actualy is easier to do 2.5D (like doom etc), because with full on 3d you can just plug numbers into your favourite 3d API but with 2.5d you're on your own and have to do more calculations yourself.
yea 2.5D would take more math than just using opengl or direct3d to render 3d objects.
I don't know any OpenGL, or even 3D basics, so 3D is kind of impossible. I think I can manage the 2.5 math, I just need to work out raycasting. Thanks,
~Jabbercat

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement