I'm Starting An Open-Source Archiving Tool

Started by
9 comments, last by dave 19 years, 5 months ago
So: 1. The program will be called Salamol. 2. First version will have no compression by default, just archiving. 3. If anyone wishes to contribute to it by writing any file compression algorythm classes they are more than welcome and will get credited. 4. The first version will be a console window style and will support the dragging and dropping of files onto the program exe for quick packing and unpacking. 5. Any ideas, please post here!!! :) 6. This is purely educational so contributers could gain alot from the coding practice. 7. Please conmtact me for further info. dave@davesdump.com regards all Ace
Advertisement
maybe you should make a Java version too(since you said 'exe', I assume your talking about a Windows executable), so you don't need Windows to run it, and it seems to me that most people who make open-source programs don't use windows(I know it's a generalization, but that's what it seems like to me)

btw, I said Java, because it's really easy to make it portable if it's in Java
Java wouldn't be my choice. But you can write as crossplatform stuff with wxWigdets or the like. But for me, I just HATE applications that don't look like the native OS...

Toolmaker

Shouldn't this be in your announcements?

Sounds good. Unfortunately the nature of open source is you have to put forth a significant effort on your own before people will contribute. Thats just the way it works.

Ditto on avoiding Java: portability is such a myth.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
just write portible C/C++ code for the backend and glue a front end onto it via another system, job done.
Well when i posted, i kinda lied,the first version has been written and works perfectrly, without compression, we have used the software on our internal network already, its easy, fast and reliable.

I am going to move forward with the 3rd or 4th version into Win32 probably. This seems tricky in c++ not c# though, because opf the enviroment.

ace
Quote:Original post by Toolmaker
Java wouldn't be my choice. But you can write as crossplatform stuff with wxWigdets or the like. But for me, I just HATE applications that don't look like the native OS...

Toolmaker
I happen to like ATM machines.
I've got some C++ code for compression/decompression of a data buffer in memory I wrote a while back using zlib and bzip2 if your interested.
Yeah that would be awesome, if u could zip it up and email it that would be awesome.

Maybe u could give me some details about it :)

Ace
I've emailed you the code, I've put all the explanations, useage example in the file along with the functions. You shouldn't have any trouble understanding how they work as they're pretty straight forward.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement