Sign in to follow this  
PeLiQ

3D games programming

Hi i have question about 3D games programming, as i know that we can load 3d model from 3d max, md2 or 3 into the program code to display the model, and this is the way that usually games developer do to make a games besides making cinematic? or we need to draw the model with the code? anybody can give me idea about this? Thanks, Felix

Usually the way it's done is that you either re-use an existing engine (which converts 3d models into a proprietary format, optimised for the engine) or you would write tools from scratch that convert existing models into your own format.

The idea is to trim the data from the meshes to make it easy (and FAST) to render and animate, and in most cases what happens is that games programmers write their own tools to import a mesh, maybe with textures and tweak the model with said tools to include data relevant to the game. I.e. Hit points, weapon's position, glow/fur effects, etc. Some people animate characters from within 3d studio, others will write the tools to join various meshes together with bones etc so you can animate it from outside a 3d package.

As for level design as such, since most games have their own way of rendering a world, you'll probably will write a level editor that positions textured primitives or meshes into space, and add information relevant to your game engine.