Sign in to follow this  
Moe

Question for someone in the industry

Hey everyone, I have a request for someone who is in the programming industry (not necessarily game development, but programming in general). I am applying for school this coming January at a place called NAIT (Northern Alberta Institute of Technology). The program that I am getting into requires me to write something called a career investigation report. It is to show that I have thoroughly researched the career and have decided that that’s what I really want to take at school. Part of the career investigation report involves me ‘interviewing’ several people who work in the industry to see what the actual work is like. I am looking for a person or two (or maybe even three) who would be willing to help me out with this. Would any of you people who are programmers by profession be so kind as to answer a few questions for me? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Just let me know if you would be interested, and I will e-mail you with all the details. Thanks a bunch! - Moe

Hey, for anyone else interested, I figured I would type out the questions. If anyone would like to answer them, go for it.

1. What is a typical workday like? (What do you really do all day?)
2. What do you like/dislike about the job?
3. What skills/abilities are needed/beneficial?
4. What education and training is required?
5. What are the starting, average, and maximum salaries in this occupation?
6. Are there opportunities for promotion?
7. What are the working conditions?
8. Where are the jobs most likely to be located?
9. What are the normal work hours? What about crunch time?
10. Is the job typically full-time, part-time, seasonal, or contract?
11. What is the future outlook for this career?
12. How stable is employment in this occupation?

If anyone wants to take a stab at it, go for it.

[Edited by - Moe on November 16, 2004 2:08:23 PM]

Anyone? I really hate to be a bother but I really need to get this done to register for school.

I also updated the questions as someone was nice enough to show me a mistake...

EDIT - Ok, I realized that there could have been a problem with my Hotmail address. If anyone else does attempt this, please either e-mail me the results at rcjbvermilion@hotmail.com or post them in the thread.

- Thanks!

[Edited by - Moe on November 16, 2004 4:36:00 PM]