how to set the cameras position and angle in ms3d? maybe this is better to understand

Started by
1 comment, last by BiGF00T 19 years, 5 months ago
i need to take screenshots of this tank from 8 directions for my rts game (which exists only on paper atm). i wanted to do it 2d because i failed badly with my 3d project. but since my 2d drawing skills are even worse than my 3d modelling skills i wanted to model some tanks and then make screenshots of them. how can i set the angles in the 3d window? i see only grid size/far/near to change... this is my first try in milkshape :/ really hard to do 3d models the first time :| i can try to rotate the camera to the desired angles but that would only be an approximation. i want to know if there is an accurate way to do it. [Edited by - BiGF00T on November 13, 2004 7:10:35 AM]
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Advertisement
Im not completely sure what your asking, but the basic controls (i think)

is to zoom in/out : Hold shift and left click - pull mouse up/down to zoom in/out

to move the camera : Hold Control and left click - move mouse for angle

and i think it has to be set to view mode not vertex or anything else --- i think :P

Quote:Original post by mcgrane66
Im not completely sure what your asking, but the basic controls (i think)

is to zoom in/out : Hold shift and left click - pull mouse up/down to zoom in/out

to move the camera : Hold Control and left click - move mouse for angle

and i think it has to be set to view mode not vertex or anything else --- i think :P

yup, those are the basic controls...
but i want to take screenshots of different models. but the screenshots should all be taken from the same viewpoint of the camera. i want to use them in a 2d tile based rts. my question is now: how can i set the angle and position of the camera exactly? otherwise i would get different pictures of the 8 rotation stages and the rotation would look choppy.

or maybe there is a viewer program with which i could set the camera to a certain position with a certain viewvector. i only need this to make screenshots of the model in 8 directions.

edit:
ok, i'll add another pic to show what i mean:

as you can see nothing is correct on that pic. i tried to rotate the tanks to the right perspective but they all look different like you would look at them from different points of view. this shouldn't be like that because they all stand on even ground.
i need to take screenshots of them from the _same_ point and the diagonal images have to have the same angles on both sides.
i hope this makes it clearer. my english isn't good enough to explain complex problems :(
if it is not possible to do this with milkshape, what viewer/modeller application could i use to do it?
or would i need tiles with equal height and width?
but i would still have to rotate the tank to the then 45° angle

[Edited by - BiGF00T on November 13, 2004 9:46:35 AM]
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement