Sign in to follow this  
deadlydog

#define Debug mode

In school they say that you should use a sort of Debug mode tag to generate errors so that the program pretty much crashes if there's an error so you know theres a problem, and when you release the game to take the Debug mode option out so if the program crashes, it crashes gracefully. So something like this if (DEBUG) { CrashHard(); }else { CrashGracefully(); } That way when you release the game to the public you can just not define DEBUG and the program won't crash as hard. My question is, is this a good idea for game programming, since that makes that many more if statements it has to evaluate? I know it won't totally slow the game down or anything, but evey little bit helps. Sorry If I wasn't totally clear on this. I'm tired right now.

Rather than doing:

if (DEBUG)
{
CrashHard();
}else
{
CrashGracefully();
}

you should do:

#ifdef DEBUG
CrashHard();
#else
CrashGracefully();
#endif

That way it's all handled by the preprocessor before compilation, so your actual program will not be affected by any extra if statements.

this code might be helpful...

#ifdef DEBUG
#define DEBUG_ONLY(x) x
#else
#define DEBUG_ONLY(x) 0
#endif

Now, if your project is DEBUG, you could compile it with -DDEBUG in gcc, or your compiler equivalent. Or you could just #define DEBUG in your program somewhere. So later in your code, when you have

DEBUG_ONLY(CrashHard());
CrashGracefully();

Assuming crash hard will exit your program, CrashGracefully() will never be called. But if you dont define DEBUG, CrashHard will not occur.

If your functions return 1 or something, you could do something like

if(!DEBUG_ONLY(SomeFunc()){
SomeOtherFunc();
}

Roight!

You probably also want use the macro NDEBUG (not in debug mode), since it's standard and will thus be automatically defined by your compiler.
Oh, and assert() can be a good tool too.