Sign in to follow this  
CpMan

Second Life and the future of digital worlds

The recent State of Play conferences indicated that digital worlds open up ways to communicate with other people that are far more effective than text. This is because of the "shared space" concept. I did some thinking on this, and then the internal discussion sort of morphed into the extremely interesting world of Second Life. Second Life, if anyone doesn't know, is an MMO with a design of "no design". The world is created and managed entirely by players. There are no goals, there is no skill system. There are only a few restrictions. Residents build and interact with the world through scripting and editing systems. Recently players have created versions of Neverland and Disney, as well as palaces, games, and many interesting things. Even with this freedom, however, players aren't going off and warring with each other all the time. This brings me to the main question of the discussion: Should MMO's move closer and closer to a Matrix or Second Life "Players LIVE in the world" feel, or should we continue to invent new rules to challenge players, as existing MMO's do.

A large part of any MMO game is the player community. There are some MMO games I've played that would've been fun if there were different people to play with.

What I'm saying is that your community of people can make or break a game. Giving them control over the game itself will only amplify this.

Imagine a player run world where all those kids you hated in high school ran it. You probably wouldn't want to play. Imagine now that it was your game, and you were paying for the server costs.

If you give the players control, you lose control yourself. The game loses a cohesive centralized planning and becomes increasingly chaotic. Sometimes that's good, sometimes its bad.

If you're charging for teh game, this kind of strategy may become attractive, since people are more willing to pay for something where they feel they have a larger role in the world.

If it's a free indy MMO game, you may be better off keeping the game under your own vision.

Well I know if I played that game, the first thing I would do would be try and kill all the other players, or destroy their property :)

I'm not sadistic but I think a game like that even though its pretty cool how everyone is building stuff, if a person can get away with causing other players greif, they would do it.

So its never really going to work. As people like to do stuff that they wouldn't really do in real life, well isn't that what these games are about anyway?

Think about how funny it would be to get your hands on a machine gun, or a car and mow down all the business people in the matrix.

I'm not sadistic but I think a game like that even though its pretty cool how everyone is building stuff, if a person can get away with causing other players greif, they would do it.

Yeah I go with that.

But that could be fun though. Although there are risks with these kind of games. Roughly said; playing to long will give a strange and unrealistic view on real life issues, especially when you're young! It gives a model of the system which is incorrect (I'm studying this in fact) since you're communicating with 'real life persons'. There's an almost realistic interaction between the people on these sort of worlds. So I say, don't play these kinda games THEY ARE BAD :p (Don't take me too serious though).
eerrrr anyway, I'm once again babeling away making no sence .. ^^