How to fill in D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 structure?

Started by
5 comments, last by Alex Swinney 19 years, 5 months ago
How does one go about filling this structure in to create a mesh?
I WISH SOMEONE WOULD FIX THE DAMNED LOGIN!
Advertisement
Are you using the D3DX mesh? If so you can use the clone op
------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info
Quote:Original post by Trip99
Are you using the D3DX mesh? If so you can use the clone op

No, the VB and IB are on their own, not in a mesh.
Perhaps D3DXDeclaratorFromFVF would do the job
------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info
To define your vertex declaration, you have to create an array of D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 structures. D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 is defined as:

D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 {    WORD Stream;      // This is the stream this element resides in    WORD Offset;      // Offset from the beginning of the vertex data.  Get this by adding up the size of the types defined before this element.    BYTE Type;        // The data type (ie D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3)    BYTE Method;      // Use D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT here    BYTE Usage;       // Defines what the data will be used for (this is the semantic in your shader - ie D3DDECLUSAGE_POSITION)    BYTE UsageIndex;  // Modifies the usage data to allow the user to specify multiple usage types.}

You can find a list of D3DDECLTYPEs here. The most commonly used ones are float1, float2, float3, float4, and D3DCOLOR.

You can find a list of D3DDECLUSAGEs here. Commonly used ones are POSITION, NORMAL, TEXCOORD, and TANGENT.

An declaration of D3DVERTEXELEMENT9s usually goes like this:

D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 simple_decl[] ={  {0, 0, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_POSITION, 0},  {0, 12, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_NORMAL, 0},  {0, 24, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT2, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_TEXCOORD, 0},  D3DDECL_END() // this macro is needed as the last item!};

This specific declaration has 3 elements:
float3 POSITION
float3 NORMAL
float2 TEXCOORD

Once you have your array of D3DVERTEXELEMENT9s, you need to create an IDirect3DVertexDeclaration9. The good thing is, this is easy:

// d3dDevice is your LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9// simpleDecl is the array of D3DVERTEXELEMENT9s we defined aboveIDirect3DVertexDeclaration9* myVertexDecl;d3dDevice->CreateVertexDeclaration(simple_decl, &myVertexDecl);

That's it! Now, you can create your vertex buffers and everything like that. We only need to do one more thing - before rendering the VB, we have to set the appropriate vertex declaration. This way, Direct3D knows what format our vertex buffer is in.

// d3dDevice is your LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9// myVertexDecl is the LPDIRECT3DVERTEXDECLARATION9 that we defined aboved3dDevice->SetVertexDeclaration( myVertexDecl );// You are now ready to go!// Set all your stream sources, and DrawIndexedPrimitive()

And that is all it takes [wink]
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Quote:Original post by Alex Swinney

You don't create a mesh out of D3DVERTEXELEMENT9s, it just describes the contents of the VB (or in the case of streams, all the VBs).
Quote:Original post by Namethatnobodyelsetook
Quote:Original post by Alex Swinney

You don't create a mesh out of D3DVERTEXELEMENT9s, it just describes the contents of the VB (or in the case of streams, all the VBs).

Yes, but it is needed in order to create a mesh, and that was the point;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement