Sign in to follow this  
Toadhead

SDL beginners guide??

I have bought a book about the ANSI/ISO C++ and I know alot about the language. Now I want to do more, I would like to use the library SDL but how do I start? There no Dutch books about SDL, and I've looked everywere but I couldn't find any English books about SDL either here in the Netherlands. I don't want to buy a book online or something so the only way would be free online tutorials :( I know how to set up SDL in Dev-Cpp (just add some library's to the lniker), and it worked (I have used some example codes and they compiled and I was able to execute them without any errors). So now the only thing I need to do is learn SDL. --------- Question 1: Would it be possible to learn SDL with just online tutorials?? --------- Question 2: Does anybody here have tried to learn SDL just with free online tutorials and did it work? --------- Question 3: Are there any tutorials about SDL that can teach me how to use SDL from the realy beginning? And than i mean "always start you're code with "#include <SDL/SDL.h>" etc. etc. ? And if so could you please give me the links :) --------- Ok, I hope someone can help me, thanks! Rob [Edited by - Toadhead on July 29, 2009 4:28:03 PM]

Answer for question 2: I learned SDL from online tutorials and I did it when I didn't even know much of C++ ( I still don't but I know waaaaaay more than in the time I learned SDL )

oh yeah, heres another site that may be of interest(it has some OpenGL stuff, and you can use SDL and OpenGL together, but you probably won't learn that for a while). btw, SDL's website is here

Quote:
Original post by Toadhead
Would it be possible to learn SDL with just online tutorials??

Yes, but many people get lazy this way and just start copying and pasting. If you are going to take this route, I would recommend going through the lesson completely and then playing around with what you learned. Change the constants, move (and even take out) lines of code. Try to make a wrapper class for it. Do whatever you can to play with it. Actually doing is the best way to learn.

Quote:
I know how to set up SDL in Dev-Cpp

David Whiting has a nice quick introduction tutorial which tells you how to set up SDL in Dev-CPP.

Not to toot my own horn. Cause that would just be plain nasty. I have written some SDL tutorials you might find benificial. The link is in my sig.

Quote:
Original post by Rob Loach

Yes, but many people get lazy this way and just start copying and pasting. If you are going to take this route, I would recommend going through the lesson completely and then playing around with what you learned. Change the constants, move (and even take out) lines of code. Try to make a wrapper class for it. Do whatever you can to play with it. Actually doing is the best way to learn.

David Whiting has a nice quick introduction tutorial which tells you how to set up SDL in Dev-CPP.

don't worry, I will print everything out and learn it from paper lol, learning from your computer sucks. So I won't just copy, I will rewrite all examples AND I WILL play with the code..

Hey PnP Bios, is that cornerstone tutorial yours? I found that one yesterday on google if i'm right, printed it and readed it and it was pretty usefull lol. However there were alot of spelling mistakes lol :P

anyway thanks all!

P.S, Rob Loach is said that I KNOW how to set up SDL with dev-cpp, not that I don't , so tha tutorialx about it is useless but anyway thanks ;)

Guest Anonymous Poster
i learnt sdl by reading tutorials and looking at the example code, that was just the basics, i only looked at 5 lessons over a week period, and now i can use sdl (base library only, not sdl_mixer or sdl_net or anything) just by looking at the api reference, such as exact function calls, data structures and so on, sdl is so easy all you need to know is the initialization code (20 lines at the very most) and the rough layout of sdl programs, and your set.

Quote:
P.S, Rob Loach is said that I KNOW how to set up SDL with dev-cpp, not that I don't , so tha tutorialx about it is useless but anyway thanks ;)

Quote:
Original post by Rob Loach
Quote:
I know how to set up SDL in Dev-Cpp

So you did. Wow, I must be blind. Good luck with things!