Where do I start?

Started by
4 comments, last by simon10k 19 years, 5 months ago
Well i want to start a small game for practice. Its going to be a smal text rpg. But...where exactly do i start? Do I start codeing rooms, or the player character? I know what I want to do, but i dont know where to start. Would it be best to start with file saving? Thanks for any info!
Advertisement
This is subjective, but I'll offer my opinion. One goal of software design is modularity - minimizing dependencies between modules (such as file management, etc.), so that you can reuse the code in future games with minimal changes.

So in your case you might make a list of things you know you'll need - a file manager, a parser, etc. These are things that can be useful in any game. Tackle them as individual projects, and try not to 'tie' them to the particular game you're working on. That way when you work on your next game, you don't have to mess with that code - it's already done.

As for where to start, this may be a little haphazard, but I usually just work on whatever interests me the most at the moment - I figure the enthusiasm and 'flow' that comes from that approach will counter any disadvantages.

Good luck!
think one week about the all system then start coding. otherway you will have to write all codes again and again. think all parts together. and search the other text rpg's systems. i mean coding part is the easy one, after you plan your system.
good luck..
+-+-+-+-+-STR
Definatly think about how you want your game to be and what features, I didnt pay enough attention to that when I started my Text Adventure game and had to rewrite it half way though. Im still not happy with the design but I can work with it and I dont have to start from scratch again.

Make a plan of all the different things you want in your game, like Non Player Characters, items and stuff so youve got a good idea of what you want to dowhen you start. I started just blindly coding and it went pear shaped lol.

(On a plus note I got my NPC's talking today!:D)

Good luck with your game :)
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Quote:Original post by jyk
This is subjective, but I'll offer my opinion. One goal of software design is modularity - minimizing dependencies between modules (such as file management, etc.), so that you can reuse the code in future games with minimal changes.

So in your case you might make a list of things you know you'll need - a file manager, a parser, etc. These are things that can be useful in any game. Tackle them as individual projects, and try not to 'tie' them to the particular game you're working on. That way when you work on your next game, you don't have to mess with that code - it's already done.

As for where to start, this may be a little haphazard, but I usually just work on whatever interests me the most at the moment - I figure the enthusiasm and 'flow' that comes from that approach will counter any disadvantages.

Good luck!

This approach has a lot good to be said for it.

Somewhat paradoxically, so does this one.
I don't think it matters where you start, I would start with the player as the world will revolve around him/her in a text setting. Then I would make the world class. The player class would hold the coordinates and items etc. and the world class would hold the information about each room.

The game loop would wait for input then perform the logic. i.e. check for keypress update player coords. display room information based on player state -coords. Or you could take a different approach and have the world class coordinate the scene. which I do for tile based games.

Don't spend to much time thinking about it, get something down.
-----------------------------Language: C++API: Win32, DirectXCompiler: VC++ 2003

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement