• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
INVERSED

sin/cos fast enough?

This topic is 4998 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, all. I know that this could just as easily be a math question, but I'm asking here because I'm asking specifically in refrence to matrix and Quaternion math. Has anyone found any compelling reason to use a sin cos table over sin and cos themselves? I started using a table because it just seems like on of those things you do, but I found that it introduced errors in my animation routines, as such I would much rather use the functions.

Advertisement
A sin/cos lookup table will either eat up valuable cache or suffer from slow RAM. The CPU is a lot faster than RAM; if you're programming for a PC use the functions.

Lookup tables are useful for devices like the TI-89 or GBA; neither of those have hardware floats so lookup tables and fixed point are much faster. With a modern PC, however, it's best to use the functions.

use sin/cos normally until you discover _with a profiler_ that the sin/cos code is actually causing a bottleneck in your app/game. it's generally never a problem.

-me

Quote:
Original post by Palidine
use sin/cos normally until you discover _with a profiler_ that the sin/cos code is actually causing a bottleneck in your app/game. it's generally never a problem.

-me

Duh, you think I would have thought to think like that as that is how I usually think of things, but for some reason I didn't. That makes perfect sense.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!