Fastest way to set display mode ?

Started by
4 comments, last by ChocoboX 19 years, 5 months ago
Heya people.I'm wondering what's the fastest way to set a display mode.Because in my opinion SetDisplayMode() is a bit slow when comparing to the speed at wich doom 3 and quake 3 change the display mode to exclusive&fullscreen.The only thing you have to wait for is the refresh rate change, then you directly see something on your screen, you hear your harddrive work for a very small period of time.Wich isn't the case in my first apps.After the refresh rate changes it takes a little while for the mode to get exclusive (before you "really" get exclusive and can't see anything of your desktop, like the desktop with the game's resolution ).Is it my the way my code gets compiled, the function I use, or the way I do it ? I believe there are some faster functions than SetDisplayMode. [Edited by - ChocoboX on November 13, 2004 5:55:48 PM]
Advertisement
You could always open up the executable & dlls of the games you list in a dependancy viewer and see if they call SetDisplayMode. I'm betting there is something wrong in your program logic or something that is slowing things down.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
dependancy viewer?

where would i get one of these?
It comes with VC6 Learning & Pro and VS2002 Academic & Pro, in the tools/bin directory. I didn't see it at work in the VS 2003 Pro install, and I don't see it in my current install of VS 2005 Express Beta, so really I'm not sure.

There might be a freeware program that does the same thing, but i haven't bothered looking since I've always used VS2002- previously.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
http://www.dependencywalker.com/

[Edited by - sphinx23 on November 14, 2004 8:56:45 AM]
This actually helped me alot.Thank you very much ! Dependency Walker is a very useful tool.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement