internet and C

Started by
13 comments, last by DMINATOR 19 years, 5 months ago
I am thinking about starting to program applications that use internet. Does anyone know what whould be better to use ? I won't to program it in C or C++ , and be able to port it to other OS. Thank's in advance.
Advertisement
You should use winsock, it doesnt matter if you use c or c++.

Winsock is a socket api for windows, you should learn it because the linux socket library is very similar.

http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/

Theres a faq for you.
SDL_net can be used in C and C++ and is multi-platform.
GWBasic.
For simple stuff, I found WinINet to be quite good. It is not very extensive, but it is simple and easy to learn.
Thank's for replyes it doesn't matter for me how hard it is to learn , I have free time for now, i think il stick with winsock.

hmm GWBasic ? - was once the main language used on home computers and is still useful in learning the fundamentals of computer programming and smaller utility programs. It still runs on Microsoft Windows computers thru WindowsXP, though not in a window, but on the black screen used for MS-DOS programming above that will pop up when you click on the GWBASIC icon. <http://www.geocities.com/KindlyRat/GWBASIC.html>

WinINet - maybe i Learn it later.

SDL_net - is interesting API, I haven't found how does it use net though.
If you want to port it, I recommend SDL_net, it's cross-platform, so you don't even need to change any code.

Quote:Original post by DMINATOR

uh, what's that supposed to mean?
Quote:Original post by Roboguy
If you want to port it, I recommend SDL_net, it's cross-platform, so you don't even need to change any code.

uh, what's that supposed to mean?

Hmm i wan't to add my application with internet support but as I look in this link I didn't find any of this.
That's SDL, not SDL_net, SDL_net is an extension library for SDL, here is the SDL_net documentation, and here is the download page(note: you will need SDL in addition to SDL_net), and, finally the online API reference, is here
I am thinking about starting to program applications that use internet. Does anyone know what whould be better to use ? I won't to program it in C or C++ , and be able to port it to other OS. Thank's in advance.

I've been working on a MMORPG in C.
My interent code is actually from a Linux Winsock tutorial. It should compile quite smoothly on Linux, with little to no changes to the code (Except those Microsoft specific pragma's [bawling]).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement