Sign in to follow this  

3D Model Formats w/ Animation

This topic is 4779 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, I'm making an OpenGL game for my 4th year computer graphics course. Right now I'm trying to figure out what character model format would be most suitable for me. I've already spent a lot of time with Quake III's .md3, but it's slow going, so I'm wondering if there is a better alternative. I really want something that can separate animations (ie, animate the legs separately from the head, etc. [that's why I started with .md3]). Also something that can be created relatively easily with 3DStudioMax. Lastly, if anyone knows of any free, opensource loaders for a character model format with animation, please let me know. We are encouraged to use as much pre-packaged stuff as we can, so long as we cite the resource. If it's platform independent, that's even better. This game will run on Windows, Linux, and OSX. Thanks in advance! --- Supra

If your not concerned about how pretty it is... md2 is braindead easy to implement... and plus it has a john mclain model on polycount :-D (Die Hard all the way!)

EDIT: how bout a link? hahah http://linux.ucla.edu/~phaethon/q3/formats/md2-schoenblum.html (theres a link to it at the bottom of the md3 description

hope that helps
-Dan

Thanks for the speedy replies!

I think I might go with the .md2 format, because it certainly does look much easier. Then perhaps what I'll do is set up my own character model hierarchy so that I can have separately animated md2 models for, the legs, arms and head. I really only need to make one character for the game, so it won't be a big deal to hard code all the joint connections.

If that made sense, let me know what you think :)
---
Supra

hehe... sorry i missed the whole skeletal animation part... yeah that could work for you... but if your going to do it that way theres really nothing stopping you from making the individual pieces in 3dsmax and exporting them to your own little model format with maxscript but thats just one other option

-Dan

This topic is 4779 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.