Worries...

Started by
12 comments, last by Sneftel 19 years, 5 months ago
I started a MSc this year and we learn OGL even if I knew it. However I am concerned. I realize that OGL 2 has been finalised but I see DX being used more and more. Please I dont have a problem with DX. Anyone that accuses DX because it from MS ONLY then should read again. I just worry whether OGL can compete in the game market anymore. I use OGL and C for my projects. i am satisfied. But DX nad now MDX makes me worry for my decision. My other two questions are: 1) Can we support the idea that OGL is easier to learn than Managed DX? 2) DX has support for UI interface construction does OGL has the same feature? As far as I know it doesnt. Where can I find something like this for OGL?
Advertisement
Check Doom 3.

OpenGL sure as hell can compete.
yeah, well openGL will probably last longer than any of us... remember... it still is THE de-facto API for workstation programs and such... the word im looking for escapes me at the moment though... :-/

anywho... no openGL does not have any UI creation built in... but i dunno if id want that... if i wanted a game maker... id go grab one... but i want to program so i use an actual API...
and on the specific case of a UI... creating a simple UI system in openGL is a weekend project, depending on how simple, maybe a few hours...

dont sweat it... openGL is gonna be around for a while... and im willing to bet ittl keep hardware developer support as long as its around

-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
there are signs that the ps3 is gonna have some sot of opengl rendering interface
Sigh, we get one of these threads at least once a week. To make it short:

Yes, OpenGL can compete. Even more than "just compete", in some aspects it is far superior to DX.

No, OpenGL is not going to die, fade away, or whatever else anytime soon.

Yes, OpenGL is being actively maintained and developed, even more since MS got kicked out of the ARB.

Yes, OpenGL is the defacto standard in the professional CAD world (architecture, engineering, military, avionics, research, ...), and it will stay that way. DX is pretty much games only.

Yes, OpenGL will be continued to be used by AAA games, and engine licensees (for example everything released by ID).

No, OpenGL is not easier to learn than DX. Both do just the same thing, with different semantic approaches to the interface. If you know one, you know them all.

Yes, you can jump from OpenGL to D3D and from D3D to OpenGL in no time. If you have lots of experience with any of them, learning the other one will take something like a week or two.

Can we close this thread now ?
Agreeing with the AP.

The most important thing when new to things like this, do not get caught up in the whole "which is the best API" war.. it's redicioulus.
Learn the concepts, and apply them through whichever API you chose (or is chosen for you)
Thank you for the replies I get reassured about my options. Hm, sometimes everyone judge his options.
DX had better shader support early on (in OGL, you had to dload custom extentions), and I believe that is why DX seems to be ahead right now. With OGL2, the shader language has been standarized (no more extentions!), so OGL use should pick up again.
OGL still doesn't have (to my knowledge) a meta language for shaders (like HLSL's FX format)
I guess that will come shortly though
erm... have you heard of glsl ?

-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement