Sign in to follow this  
psychoullis

What do you think about it?

Hello there. This is my first post here. I am also new in game programming and i look around to decide where to start from. Actually i have tried a thing or two using the wildtangent sdk. Reading the posts i get a feeling that everybody try to create an engine of a game and NOT an actual game. Am i wrong? I mean i really do understand that somebody likes to create its own engine but i think its about reinventing the wheel. I like programming as much as many of you guys do. But i am 100% i cannot create an engine powerful/efficient/correct by programming on my 1-2 hours daily spare time, as somebody who is doing this for a living. Shouldn't the community have a place about the ACTUAL game creation? This is my point of view. By all means, tell me what you thing about this. Thank you. P.S. Any suggested free SDK's ???

Quote:
shouldn't there be a place for game programming

there is a place like that it's called game programming forums.
you should scroll down a bit on the forums listings page

Quote:
ps.any suggested sdk's

well there is
directx
sdl
allegro

Quote:
Original post by psychoullis
Hello there. This is my first post here.
I am also new in game programming and i look around to decide where to start from.
Actually i have tried a thing or two using the wildtangent sdk.

Reading the posts i get a feeling that everybody try to create an engine of a game and NOT an actual game. Am i wrong? I mean i really do understand that somebody likes to create its own engine but i think its about reinventing the wheel. I like programming as much as many of you guys do. But i am 100% i cannot create an engine powerful/efficient/correct by programming on my 1-2 hours daily spare time, as somebody who is doing this for a living.

Creating a game actually rather implies creating an "engine" for "that type of game". It's just a matter of how specific you are with that word "type".

Of course these things are built with (and on top of) other tools.

from what I've seen of Wildtangent, SDL and Allegro do pretty much the same things, except I would definitly recommend them over it, wildtangent seems to only work on windows(personally, I'd recommend SDL over allegro, too, mostly because it has more extra libraries made for it)

an engine of a game has the features of the game (like Bump Mapping and Client-Server networking), so it is harder to implement the features than the game itself. its like creating a game with an engine you downloaded from the internet. few lines of code and you made a small game.
am i wrong or this is the WildTangent engine website?
directx is the closest library to WildTangent (WT made in DX), but you'll have to use OpenGL together with AllegroGL if you want to create 3D with Allegro
SDL can work with OpenGL without any SDLGL (i think, i dont use it), and DirectX is a library of 3D, Sound, Networking, etc. on its own. it doesn't required OpenGL. (negative: its a library for Windows only. it is used in XBox too but you'll have to get a license or something from them. the XBox library isn't a library for everyone.)
more libraries:
ClanLib: can use OpenGL and can use its own (this is a limited page until they will set their website on a new server)
PLib: uses OpenGL

Quote:
Hello there. This is my first post here.
I am also new in game programming and i look around to decide where to start from.
Actually i have tried a thing or two using the wildtangent sdk.

Reading the posts i get a feeling that everybody try to create an engine of a game and NOT an actual game. Am i wrong? I mean i really do understand that somebody likes to create its own engine but i think its about reinventing the wheel. I like programming as much as many of you guys do. But i am 100% i cannot create an engine powerful/efficient/correct by programming on my 1-2 hours daily spare time, as somebody who is doing this for a living.

Shouldn't the community have a place about the ACTUAL game creation?

Definition of "Game Engine"

@pex22: you posted the PLib link wrong, here's the proper site(you forgot the http://)

Many people here are creating actual games. It just so happens that if you build a game from scratch, you will build an engine in the process, whether you like it or not - that engine may not be at all reusable if not designed as such, but all games contain engine code, and so most of the questions here tend to be on that.

Also - welcome to GDnet.

If you're going to create a "real" game( that is, not Pong or Tetris), you'll need an engine. So the question is, why so many non-professional people try to create their own engines instead of using existing ones, like Torque? The answer is simply because creating a game from scratch is much more rewarding(morally). It boosts our ego, and don't forget that you gain may programming experiences you wouldn't have if you were just modifying an existing engine.

Hello and thanks for welcoming me :)

don't get me wrong. I totally agree (mikeman) about the moral reward. But it seems to me that is not efficient to try and create an engine from the beggining doing it just what other engines do. I really don't know so much about it (and also my intension is not to offend anybody) but doing a function that will calculate the shadows for example is reinventing the wheel. If you create a game you really want to focus on the gameplay so you could spend your time on that (instead of developing something that will do exactly the same job as others).

--------------------------------------

Also i would like to ask about SDK's because i am a bit confused and i REALLY need to stick to one of them.

I played around a bit with the Wildtangent SDK. In WD you can create lights, polygons, it has a collision detection (i think), etc etc.

From what i understand WildTangent is above DirectX. Right????

As you suggested me I looked at SDL and Plib and i am trying to figure out. Is it at the same level as WT??? For example you can create cameras in a scene lights, polygons, animations etc???

Unfortunately i have little time to spare , as i am studying in uni, that's why i need your help and experience.

I bought 'game physics' and 'AI' from oreilly books company. Was it a good choice?

Thanks for reading and excuse my english..

you can do all that and more when you use SDL+OGL, ClanLib, Plib(I think), Allegro+AllegroGL, etc... (and what do you mean when you ask if they're on the same level, and when you ask if WT is "above" DX?)

When i say level i mean....
java is higher level than assembley...this kind...

-----------------------

Can you show me a URL where it explains about creating cameras lights etc please?(using either SDL/allegro/and the rest that you mentioned)

Thank you for your help.

What is OGL????(url?)

here should provide how to do stuff with clanlib, with SDL and Allegro(with AllegroGL), that stuff would be done using OpenGL(OGL doesn't have built in camera stuff, but GLU has the gluLookAt function, which could be used to build a camera class pretty easily)

[google](the image is a link) and NeHe OGL tutorials(There needs to be a NeHe smily, like the google one)

and OGL is an abreviation for OpenGL

Hello.
I have been trying to install the clanLib but i seem to have some problems with compiling the libraries...
i have done excactly what the instructions say, about the include and library directories and having them on top of the lists but i get this error when i try to compile the ClanDisplay.

"fatal error C1189: #error : Found DirectX headers older than 8.0. Please download a newer directx, and make sure its FIRST in the include path and library path (Tools->Options->Directories in MSVC)"

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Quote:
Hello. I actually found the problem and i really need your help....

When i include the directory (in VC6) is it doesnt include the subdirectories. any helkp?

could you post some code? I can't figure out what your trying to say... You don't #include directories, you #include header files

Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
Quote:
Hello. I actually found the problem and i really need your help....

When i include the directory (in VC6) is it doesnt include the subdirectories. any helkp?

could you post some code? I can't figure out what your trying to say... You don't #include directories, you #include header files

He's not coding a project yet, he's trying to set up the libraries.

It would seem from the error message that you simply need to download a newer version of DirectX.

Hello again and thnx for the replies.

I was very tired last night so i couldnt describe you correctly what is happening.

After downloading the ClanLib i followed the instructions for compiling the libraries. The headers are in 'd:\clanlib\inc' directory.
The problem is here. From what i understood, VC looks for the 'dinput.h' file, which is located in the 'd:\clanlib\inc\dx8' directory. But instead of looking there, it retrieves it from VC6 libraries which is the old file.

So how am i going to say to VC that it should look also in the subdirectories of the 'd:\clanlib\inc' directory? Or do i have to include them individually.

Thank you.