What do you think about it?

Started by
19 comments, last by psychoullis 19 years, 5 months ago
If you're going to create a "real" game( that is, not Pong or Tetris), you'll need an engine. So the question is, why so many non-professional people try to create their own engines instead of using existing ones, like Torque? The answer is simply because creating a game from scratch is much more rewarding(morally). It boosts our ego, and don't forget that you gain may programming experiences you wouldn't have if you were just modifying an existing engine.
Advertisement
Hello and thanks for welcoming me :)

don't get me wrong. I totally agree (mikeman) about the moral reward. But it seems to me that is not efficient to try and create an engine from the beggining doing it just what other engines do. I really don't know so much about it (and also my intension is not to offend anybody) but doing a function that will calculate the shadows for example is reinventing the wheel. If you create a game you really want to focus on the gameplay so you could spend your time on that (instead of developing something that will do exactly the same job as others).

--------------------------------------

Also i would like to ask about SDK's because i am a bit confused and i REALLY need to stick to one of them.

I played around a bit with the Wildtangent SDK. In WD you can create lights, polygons, it has a collision detection (i think), etc etc.

From what i understand WildTangent is above DirectX. Right????

As you suggested me I looked at SDL and Plib and i am trying to figure out. Is it at the same level as WT??? For example you can create cameras in a scene lights, polygons, animations etc???

Unfortunately i have little time to spare , as i am studying in uni, that's why i need your help and experience.

I bought 'game physics' and 'AI' from oreilly books company. Was it a good choice?

Thanks for reading and excuse my english..
you can do all that and more when you use SDL+OGL, ClanLib, Plib(I think), Allegro+AllegroGL, etc... (and what do you mean when you ask if they're on the same level, and when you ask if WT is "above" DX?)
When i say level i mean....
java is higher level than assembley...this kind...

-----------------------

Can you show me a URL where it explains about creating cameras lights etc please?(using either SDL/allegro/and the rest that you mentioned)

Thank you for your help.

What is OGL????(url?)
here should provide how to do stuff with clanlib, with SDL and Allegro(with AllegroGL), that stuff would be done using OpenGL(OGL doesn't have built in camera stuff, but GLU has the gluLookAt function, which could be used to build a camera class pretty easily)

[google](the image is a link) and NeHe OGL tutorials(There needs to be a NeHe smily, like the google one)

and OGL is an abreviation for OpenGL
After looking at all of them i think i am going for ClanLib.
Thanks for your help.
Hello.
I have been trying to install the clanLib but i seem to have some problems with compiling the libraries...
i have done excactly what the instructions say, about the include and library directories and having them on top of the lists but i get this error when i try to compile the ClanDisplay.

"fatal error C1189: #error : Found DirectX headers older than 8.0. Please download a newer directx, and make sure its FIRST in the include path and library path (Tools->Options->Directories in MSVC)"

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Hello. I actually found the problem and i really need your help....

When i include the directory (in VC6) is it doesnt include the subdirectories. any helkp?
Quote:Original post by psychoullis

When i include the directory (in VC6) is it doesnt include the subdirectories. any helkp?

could you post some code? I can't figure out what your trying to say... You don't #include directories, you #include header files
Quote:Original post by Roboguy
Quote:Original post by psychoullis

could you post some code? I can't figure out what your trying to say... You don't #include directories, you #include header files

He's not coding a project yet, he's trying to set up the libraries.

It would seem from the error message that you simply need to download a newer version of DirectX.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement