What do you think about it?

Started by
19 comments, last by psychoullis 19 years, 5 months ago
Hello there. This is my first post here. I am also new in game programming and i look around to decide where to start from. Actually i have tried a thing or two using the wildtangent sdk. Reading the posts i get a feeling that everybody try to create an engine of a game and NOT an actual game. Am i wrong? I mean i really do understand that somebody likes to create its own engine but i think its about reinventing the wheel. I like programming as much as many of you guys do. But i am 100% i cannot create an engine powerful/efficient/correct by programming on my 1-2 hours daily spare time, as somebody who is doing this for a living. Shouldn't the community have a place about the ACTUAL game creation? This is my point of view. By all means, tell me what you thing about this. Thank you. P.S. Any suggested free SDK's ???
Advertisement
Quote:shouldn't there be a place for game programming

there is a place like that it's called game programming forums.
you should scroll down a bit on the forums listings page

Quote:ps.any suggested sdk's

well there is
directx
sdl
allegro
-----------------------------------Panic and anxiety Disorder HQ
Quote:Original post by psychoullis
Hello there. This is my first post here.
I am also new in game programming and i look around to decide where to start from.
Actually i have tried a thing or two using the wildtangent sdk.

Reading the posts i get a feeling that everybody try to create an engine of a game and NOT an actual game. Am i wrong? I mean i really do understand that somebody likes to create its own engine but i think its about reinventing the wheel. I like programming as much as many of you guys do. But i am 100% i cannot create an engine powerful/efficient/correct by programming on my 1-2 hours daily spare time, as somebody who is doing this for a living.

Creating a game actually rather implies creating an "engine" for "that type of game". It's just a matter of how specific you are with that word "type".

Of course these things are built with (and on top of) other tools.
Hello again.

I've looked at the allegro sdk you suggested and i was wondering.

is the allegro at the same level as wildtangent?

Thanks...
never heard of it, could you post a link?
Wildtangent
from what I've seen of Wildtangent, SDL and Allegro do pretty much the same things, except I would definitly recommend them over it, wildtangent seems to only work on windows(personally, I'd recommend SDL over allegro, too, mostly because it has more extra libraries made for it)
an engine of a game has the features of the game (like Bump Mapping and Client-Server networking), so it is harder to implement the features than the game itself. its like creating a game with an engine you downloaded from the internet. few lines of code and you made a small game.
am i wrong or this is the WildTangent engine website?
directx is the closest library to WildTangent (WT made in DX), but you'll have to use OpenGL together with AllegroGL if you want to create 3D with Allegro
SDL can work with OpenGL without any SDLGL (i think, i dont use it), and DirectX is a library of 3D, Sound, Networking, etc. on its own. it doesn't required OpenGL. (negative: its a library for Windows only. it is used in XBox too but you'll have to get a license or something from them. the XBox library isn't a library for everyone.)
more libraries:
ClanLib: can use OpenGL and can use its own (this is a limited page until they will set their website on a new server)
PLib: uses OpenGL
pex.
Quote:Original post by psychoullis
Hello there. This is my first post here.
I am also new in game programming and i look around to decide where to start from.
Actually i have tried a thing or two using the wildtangent sdk.

Reading the posts i get a feeling that everybody try to create an engine of a game and NOT an actual game. Am i wrong? I mean i really do understand that somebody likes to create its own engine but i think its about reinventing the wheel. I like programming as much as many of you guys do. But i am 100% i cannot create an engine powerful/efficient/correct by programming on my 1-2 hours daily spare time, as somebody who is doing this for a living.

Shouldn't the community have a place about the ACTUAL game creation?

Definition of "Game Engine"

@pex22: you posted the PLib link wrong, here's the proper site(you forgot the http://)
Many people here are creating actual games. It just so happens that if you build a game from scratch, you will build an engine in the process, whether you like it or not - that engine may not be at all reusable if not designed as such, but all games contain engine code, and so most of the questions here tend to be on that.

Also - welcome to GDnet.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement