Sign in to follow this  
Sephirox

write floppy's track 1 using dev c++

hi, im trying to write to the first track of a floppy...ive seen examples using djgpp, but id like to do it using dev c++...basically, i need to write 512 bytes to the first track of a floppy (so i can boot from it), thx in advance

I believe CreateFile with a file name of "\\.\A:" will allow access to the drive for writing and reading, at least in VC.

yes, but, will it be on the first sector of the first track? i need to make sure my 512 byte program is in the first 512 bytes of the disk ( i need to write to the disk starting at offset 0)

Your in luck. The API is Identical :)

Just try and run some samples (assuming everything links and compiles correctly).

I use VS.NET primarily but the other app is nice in its own right.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/base/createfile.asp

The msdn link to that function. As far as I can tell (in past experience also) is that it opens up the actual physical drive for reading/writing. Which should give you the very first area of the disk.

I believe this is the lowest level you can get with Windows, but could be wrong. You should just try and see :)

Here's a document detailing the FAT12 file system which is what floppy disks uses. You don't need to read the whole document - the structure of the first 512 bytes (the bootsector) is listed fairly early on so you can skip the rest: clicky (the document covers all FAT filesystems - 12/16 and 32).

To access the floppy disk as a file you can open it like so:
FILE *FilePtr = fopen("\\\\.\\a:", "wb");