programming languages in future

Started by
13 comments, last by simon10k 19 years, 5 months ago
Sounds like the 'language' they use to program Lego Mindstorms... :)

I reckon (short term, say 5 years) things will keep pootling along pretty much as they are already. RAD will be owned by C# or similar, general development will still be mostly in C++ (for the same reason we still use QWERTY keyboards) but shifting more towards interpreted / JITed languages as hardware speeds increase and speed concerns decrease, and people will keep rewriting the same old crap in their own special way rather than using common libraries. :)
Advertisement
Have a look at The Hundred-Year Language (which unsurprisingly sounds a lot like Lisp) and also Lightwight Languages 2002.
I think than the main enemy of C++ is not another programming language but the growing speed of the CPUS. C++ make programms that run fast, but it's considered as a difficult language. But many applications does not need to run so fast because the computers today are VERY VERY fast!!!
Quote:Original post by fractoid
Sounds like the 'language' they use to program Lego Mindstorms... :)

Its a variant of Labview, which is fairly popular among engineers. So there's your useless trivia for today.

I do envision visual programming becoming more popular [especially amongst non-programmers], but I suspect at the lower levels it will still be done by more traditional methods. You'll draw a bunch of blocks and show how they interconnect, and then go in and write a couple lines of code to define the boxes. But perhaps this won't be neccessary. Right now Labview [and Simulink, the other visual environment I'm familiar with] aren't anywhere near ready, but they're also specialized tools. A more general solution may well work just fine.

CM
I don't think there is a limit to what we can do with more cpu power. perhaps holographical displays will eat up more instructions and the emulation of other sensory awarnesses like touch taste and smells although I'm not sure a computer could generate a smell or a taste but more realistic virtual suits would be cool rather than a virbrating joypad or jacket. Imagine jumping out of a plane in a game and acually experiencing as you would if it was as real.

Until it feels real it is not a true game just an emulation and that should be the goal of computer development to make it real. Then to make little robots to do our work. Even business applications could become more creative. I think if you rely on the high level programs of today to make your programs you accept the limitations of the past that created them.
-----------------------------Language: C++API: Win32, DirectXCompiler: VC++ 2003

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement