Sign in to follow this  
PlayfulPuppy

Thumbnails in Windows XP

I have a couple of graphical filetypes that I've created, and I'm wondering how it's possible to create thumbnail data so that it's easy to identify paticular files within Windows Explorer. Retrieving the thumbnail data after it's been saved to the file would also be of great assistance. I've had a look through both MSDN and Google, but my searches didn't really turn up much of use. Has anyone here done this before?

don't really know any specifics on the subject, but here's an opensource project that you might be able to learn from

http://thumbview.sourceforge.net/

Quote:
original quote from thumbview.sourceforge.net
ThumbView enables thumbnails and tooltips in MS-Windows XP Explorer for filetypes that are not nativly supported. It started with PCX, TGA and DDS. But now ThumbView supports a amazing 19 image types! Directly inside Explorer! The program is not run as a process and will not eat memory nor cpu, it is a shell extension (COM) called by Windows when it wants to display a thumbnail.

wow, I'm flattered :D

I'm the author of ThumbView. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

My suggestion (and this is how I planned ThumbView) is that you just make a Thumbnail Extractor for your filetype(s) and plug that into ThumbView. Just like the PCX/TGA/DDS/BeerPack/DevilPack that you can download from the website.

What you do is implement 5 functions, 3 of them is super easy as they only return a char* (Version, Name, and supported filetypes). The other 2 is a function for returning a HBITMAP of your downscaled image, and a function for returning some image data (bpp and dimensions). ThumbView handles all the messy windows stuff.

Feel free to PM me or post here :)