shooting down bsp trees

Started by
35 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 5 months ago
Look at portals, biatch.
Advertisement
i know some engines use just portals in doorways and such to flag polygons for visibilities,
but im talking about one vertex you have to place per room that you can see while spending an horu designing the room,
i just think since it takes so long to design a level, cant you just use your time wisely there and use one vertex indicators inside joined rooms from the romm your spending an hour designing anyways, and wipe out the need to program antipenumbras and the whole mess of bsp trees in the first place?

thats a lot of technological mess you could just cut out completely.

id love to prune this part of the 3d game bush if i could.
i don't really understand what you mean by indicator vertex. i fail to see what you're going to do with it.
anyway, with a portal system, couldn't you use portal clipping instead of penumbra/antipenumbra ?
and i dont know what else id add to it,
you could make simple "sweep vectors", one for each side of a each doorway and treat it liek a frustum window peering into each room, and you could cut away all polygons not in the sweep frustum threaded through just two points on eiterh side of the door way from the player, and you wouldnt have to portal each polygon at the beggining and make a list before game time, or import a pvs file or something, that could be done in real time just as fast as a regular frustum operation works.
id place an "indicator" vertex in each room that i can see from the room in designing out currently in 3ds max, and then make a simple tally function inside c++ that makes a pvs for the selected room with each room that has in "indicator" vertex in it, and you could differenciate between all the indicators you place in a level as to what room they belong to by height.
i mean just place an "indicator" vertex in each room you can see from where your at, and then render only the rest of the levels rooms that have indicator verts in them for the room your currently in
i think im imagining a bsp tree for the lazy
the portals i learned with used the complex anti penumbra sweeps for every facing polygon, and didnt just use simpler culling methods
and on top of that, they had a strange long method of determining what rooms they wouldnt ever hit, and to me it just feels like some nerd wanted to give everyone headaches and didnt think about how little time a designer would have to spend marking visible rooms somehow when theyre takign 16 hours to desing levels already
it is important to make code less of a gigantic snotball isnt it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement