Is there a tutorial on how to create a gem like button/panel ??

Started by
2 comments, last by PlayfulPuppy 19 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I'm kinda new in vector drawing so my skills usually involving rasterized images. What I'm trying to to is to create a "gem" kinda style for my button, suppose to be cool enough to show some "bling bling" looks in it. I've been messing around for days with flash, changing fills with mixed alpha value only to find that i still can't get what I want. Is there a tutorial to make this kind of effects ?? If there is, I really like to know how you guys do it..
Ride the thrill of your life
Play Motorama
Advertisement
There's a 'Mac Gel' tutorial floating around the 'net somewhere that tells you how to create those nice gem-looking icons that Apple uses in it's UI and advertisements, although I forget where I found it.

General way I do it (In Adobe Illustrator):

* Create your shape
* Dupilcate and scale down your shape about 10% (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT + Drag sizing handles)
* Scale your new shape horizontally about 50%
* Apply a Black-To-White gradient and set the transparency mode to 'Lighten'
* Go to your original shape and apply a subtle gradient from a lighter color to a slightly darker color, and make the gradient radial coming from the bottom-left.

Bit of a rushed tutorial, but that should help give you a general idea on how to achieve a shiny appearance.
yeah.. i'm not talking bout doing it in photoshop, as I mentioned before I wanna do it in flash a.k.a vector drawing..

sure.. I use gradient with alpha tocreate shininess.. but.. never got the result I expected
Ride the thrill of your life
Play Motorama
Actually I was talking about doing it through Illustrator, which is a vector drawing program. The method I described should work, you'll just have to translate it into the program that you're using.

Macromedia Freehand would probably be better for your purposes, give that a look.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement