Sign in to follow this  
glJack

Mercedes & Jeep Car physics demo

The physics are really great. Some minor things that need fixing - sometimes when falling from high altidues, the wheels got pushed into hood of the mercedes and once when I overthrew the jeep it had its roof pushed into the ground for a split second, but overall - really great, controlling the car felt great & easy.

Guest Anonymous Poster
cars could go a bit faster ;)
very nice though, a one thing with it was the suspension was a bit too soft imo, however thats just a matter of fine tuning, not so much a problem

the cars tended to bounce when falling, they need more weight

Wow, that was great!

A few minor things: the breaks are either a little too hard or the cars aren't going as fast as they should (which would account for the sharp curves too).

Other than that, it was wonderful.

One graphics tip though: enable GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE on the skybox textures [smile]

cars seemed too bouncy, when you landed on your roof you bounced up too high. other then that it seemed really good. Very impressive stuff! Are you going to release the source?

Would very much like to try it out, since I'm crazy about car-physics... But the link just gives me an empty archive. Tried "Save target as...", and all that crap.
Any ideas?

That is pretty nice. Are the wheels modelled as separate rigid bodies, with normal friction etc properties, or what...?

One thing that would be nice is a proper "follow camera" (or a means of changing the offset on the fixed-offset camera) - the choice of cameras at the moment make it tricky to navigate around.

I noticed that objects like the barrel actually jitter slightly when they're meant to be at rest (I assume there's no object deactivation going on) - is that normal for ODE?

Oh, and I find that the transitions between mipmap levels on the ground texture very obvious (GF5600 card) - looks like it's not interpolating...

Hi guys! I'll try to answer all the questions given here. Thanks to all for attention and good words.

MrRowl: You're right. The wheels are modeled as separate rigid bodies with normal friction. There are two friction coeff. Both control wheel friction it two different directions (first of them coincides with wheel axis, the second is normal to first).
Follow camera mode - I think i'll include this mode in the next release.
About mipmaps - again you're right. I forgot about fixing this because while debugging this app, I so many times looked at this artifacts that they became usual for my sight. :)

Stein. Try to download it again. Server www.newmail.ru gives me limited download traffic. Maybe this is why you couldn't download it the first time. If you don't manage to download it, i can send it by e-mail.

Ilici:
>>One graphics tip though: enable GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE on the skybox >>textures
- Forgot this since I don't have the problem with skybox textures in this demo(GeForce2 GTS), but saw that many GPU'S do. I'll fix this.
P.S. Cool site you've got!

Anonymous Poster: They bounce so just because the gravity is set to 4.5 instead of 9.8

Bouga: Yes, you're right. Cars tend to fall into the ground for a little while. This problem really needs to be fixed. I have just to "play" a little with ODE global constansts. This will take some time, because once I change globals, I'll have to change all local constanst for rigid bodys and car systems.
>> really great, controlling the car felt great & easy.
I am glad you like it. I hoped that car control would be good.