Bmp spirte as background?

Started by
9 comments, last by stroma 19 years, 5 months ago
How to make a bmp sprite as a background of the screen? without the texture thing?
Advertisement
I Create a bmp file that have 1600*1200 size
So that I can make a scrolling background..

Is there any other way except use the Quard?
make one quad and dont move it. move the texture parameters. or use small parts of the bitmap and make several quads. my advice do not use 1200x1600 bitmap. make backgroud just like a map. put your objects on it, and this will make your program faster and flexible.
+-+-+-+-+-STR
another advice use smaller image format. eg. jpg
+-+-+-+-+-STR
How to load an jpg files as a background ??..

What is all opengl attributes for that?
Split the image (of any file-type) into pieces of 256x256. So you are sure all widely used videocards will support it.
Quote:Original post by stroma
another advice use smaller image format. eg. jpg

Unfortunately the image file format doesn't make any difference in video memory. Once the file is uploaded to video memory it will consume just as much memory as a BMP image will.
Nevertheless it is a good idea to store the image on disk in a more memory efficient format such as JPEG.
Quote:Original post by coderx04
How to load an jpg files as a background ??..

What is all opengl attributes for that?

OGL doesn't contain any image file format support. You will have to use an image library like DevIL to load the file.
Owww, Thats why ..

how about if I use SDL for that? ..
If I use SDL for display all the sprite stuff, can I still use opengl to manipulate? like the lightning and stuff?
Quote:Original post by darookieUnfortunately the image file format doesn't make any difference in video memory.

i now this. but if you use images from file. your "program size" will encrease. and if you are making a simple demo, or game i want it to be small. small is beautiful :D
+-+-+-+-+-STR

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement