Sign in to follow this  
MotionCoil

app crash n burn. char arrays

What is going on here?!?! for some reason both my mate and I cannot fathom why this is screwing up. It feels such a noob problem though. ok, i got a console kinda up and running within my engine. When the console is in focus (and a key is pressed) the function ConsoleFocus reads the key and does its respective routine. I declare line as a global char pointer as so: char *Line; In the engines initialization i then initialize it as a char array thus: Line = new char[64]; in the class CConsole I have a public variable called CurrentLine. This is decared in the public space like so: char *CurrentLine; in the CConsole::CConsole() constructor, I have it initialized as thus: CurrentLine = new char[64]; in the ConsoleFocus function I then have these lines for when 'A' is pressed: ... strcat(Line,"a"); strcpy(gConsole->CurrentLine, Line); ... at this point i get a mother of an AV error. Apparently its an access violation in strcat. I cannot in any way, shape or form see how its an AV. I appreciate any help. this problem...Its really annoying

You have not initialised Line. Therefore you have no guarantee that it is null terminated. strcat requires a null terminated string to append to.

That said, why on Earth are you using raw character arrays instead of std::strings?

Enigma

Quote:
Original post by MotionCoil
for some reason both my mate and I cannot fathom why this is screwing up.

char *

"Doctor, it hurts when I use char-stars to represent text."

Guest Anonymous Poster
I've only worked in C, but if C++ is just an addon to C, this should work.

char chrLine[64];
char chrCurrentLine[64];
strcat(chrLine, "a");
strcpy(chrCurrentLine, chrLine);[/soure]

And thats it, no fancy symbols or special keywords. [razz]

AP: As I stated before, strcat requires two null-terminated char arrays. Your code declares a 64 character stack array but does not initialise it. It therefore contains junk values from the stack and likely does not contain a terminating null.

Enigma

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Enigma
AP: As I stated before, strcat requires two null-terminated char arrays. Your code declares a 64 character stack array but does not initialise it. It therefore contains junk values from the stack and likely does not contain a terminating null.

Enigma

Yes, however, my first calls on a string are usually strcpy, hence why I never have to clear it. In this case, he would indeed have to create null pointer.

Quote:
chrLine[0] = '\n';
chrCurrentLine[0] = '\n';

Guest Anonymous Poster
lol, perhaps a moderator can clean up my two replies. By null pointer, I ment terminating null. And the quote was suppose to be a source bracket. Even in the early post, I spelt [/sorce] lol...

Thanks for the replies.
I'm now sorted. I've flipped to std::strings and they are working well.
Now i gotta write the rest of my console logic.

Cheers again!