Sign in to follow this  
ShmeeBegek

Copying a 2-bit image to the depth buffer

Hello, I have a peculiar situation which I thought that I would run by whoever might read this. I need to copy a 2 bit bitmap into the depth buffer, and up until now I have been converting to floats and using glDrawPixels to draw it to the depth buffer. This is quite inefficient although it has been adequate, but now I would like to get the algorithm working a bit faster. It's a shame that it has to be two bits of course... otherwise I could just use glBitmap, perhaps there is a way to set the pixel transfer mode to add values and call glBitmap twice? All ideas are appreciated, Thanks, ~SPH

2bits thus either 0 or 1.
one way would be clear the screen so its all 0's and then enable alpha testing gl_graeter than 0.0, and then draw your texture (countaining the 2bit data, perhaps u need to change this to 8bit by simply multiplying every number ^8 ) on the screen

Just for clarification:
1 bit = 0 to 1
2 bit = 0 to 3

Thus, an image with only two colors would be 1 bit, whereas an images with greater than 2 and less than 4 would be 2 bit.

To zedzeek:

That would be a good method if I had a 1-bit Bitmap, but as I said my bitmap is 2 bits. Two to the second power is 4, there are 4 possibilities (0 to 3).

To bytecoder:

Was this a response to zedzeek? Seems like you were correcting him on 2 bits meaning 0 or 1 as well.

Thanks for all help, ~SPH

sorry about that
post the small piece of code where u convert it

also u might wanna look at uploading it into a already existing texture and drawing that to the screen

That's what I do right now, draw it (very slowly) and then copy it to a texture, then for future drawing I simply put that texture up to the screen. Perhaps this cannot be easily avoided (without the use of Shaders, which I need to avoid in this project)?

Thanks, ~SPH