Sign in to follow this  
3dguru

UI with OGL.

As I said I am interested in UI design with OGL. From where do I start making my own UI with buttons, drop downs etc? Can it be done with C only? [Edited by - 3dguru on November 14, 2004 4:05:17 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Are you just that stupid? Your name is "3dguru" and you don't even know if C can be exclusively used for this? .. just give up. "3dguru" cant even figure out how to make 2d ui's ... nice. noob.

Anonymus poster or something. You really should be nicer to people. That really isn't a way to talk to him and bitching about him sucking isn't gonna help anyone so instead give him some help.
So here is some help.
Yes it can be done in C.
And its very easy well a simple button control is... just draw a textured quad and draw some text on it and check if the mouse x and y are in the rect of the quad and if the mouse button is down.

Anonymous Poster. Listen you idiot of course I know how to make a 2d ui but i would like to listen to other opinions before I venture to the thing in case someone has already done it and if it worked or not. My friend I was programming before you stopped wearing dipers so I would suggest YOU to change profession since if you give help in that way you are a lost cause. GAMEDEV.NET could really be better with out people like you.

If you want to make UIs in OpenGL, you'll have to write your own drawing and event handling code (which is tedious). You might want to consider using Windows GDI, and creating a different look and feel for it. Windows Skinning should get you started.

Quote:
Original post by 3dguruCan it be done with C only?

Yes, of course, OpenGL is generally implemented as a C API, not C++. Of course, C++ has some features that may make things easier, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

As far as the API elements:
+ Backgrounds can be drawn with quads. Use one inside another to make simple borders, or just draw a line loop for thin ones.
+ Use textured quads to draw things like icons, radio buttons, checkboxes, etc.
+ You will need a way to draw text. Check NeHe.

Basically, most GUI things can be made out of a bunch of quads and some text.

>> My friend I was programming before you stopped wearing dipers so I would suggest YOU to change profession since if you give help in that way you are a lost cause.

Don't mean to attack you, but if this were true, you would have been able to figure out how to do this quite quickly. At least something like what PinguinDude suggested.

-SirKnight

I didnt suggest I knew OGL that good.:)Maybe I should delete this post for the better. I could very easily get out of hand.