Rand() question

Started by
8 comments, last by raptorstrike 19 years, 5 months ago
ok i feel stupid asking this but im calling srand(3); X=rand()%3; and i get the same think everytime why?
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Advertisement
If you use the same seed every time, you will get the same result. Usually people pass the current time to srand.
That's correct.

srand() initialises your random number generator to a specific seed. So subsequent calls to rand() will always return the same sequence of numbers when the same seed was used.

You can feed the current time or some other really random value to srand() to have a unique chain of random numbers.
you should only call srand() one time
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
i need a number 0-2 as a rand # when i do this rand()%2 it gives me the same think still. grrr!
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
When in doubt, read the specifications of the function in question.
(or as we used to say, RTFM :).)

A good place to look is MSDN:

rand()
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/html/_crt_rand.asp

srand()
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/html/_crt_srand.asp

[EDIT]
I noticed you also seem to be having problems with the % (modulus) operator.

What it does is return the remainder of a division between two numbers.

EG: 10 % 10 gives zero, as ten divides ten evenly.
Wheras 10 % 5 yields 5.
[/EDIT]
- Jacob
"1 is equal to 2 for significantly large quantities of 1" - Anonymous
If I remember correctly, to get a number between 0 and n, use

rand() % (n + 1)

Also, to seed with time, I usually use:

srand((UINT)time(NULL));

I think the proper funcion to get the time would be GetTickCount.

edit: It doesn't get the time, but rather the number of milliseconds elapsed since the program began execution. This will never (very seldom) be the same, even on the same macine with no other tasks running.
That's not portable. time(NULL) is better.
cool it works thanks guys[grin] btw im using SDL so its SDL_GetTicks for me ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement