Sign in to follow this  
C_Programmer0101

Where should I start learning C++

I am following the instructions as a newbee on this website for Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit: http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dv_vstechart/html/vctoolkitcmd.asp I am having problems getting past the notepad part because of the path problems. I have Dev C++ and have problems using that because my programs will not stay on the screen or in other words I would Like to see the wording. I never had this problem learning Python. Where should I start to help me learning C++ Code.

Well as far as setting up the compiler to do basic c++ dos based apps it shouldn't require any real work on your part. Just select Win32 Console Project and there you go. If your talking about learning the language i would highly recommend "Teach yourself C++ in 21 days".

Quote:
Original post by C_Programmer0101
Learning Syntax is easy for me just learning these C++ compilers is what is hard for me.

I agree, I'm sticking with Dev-C++ for now. Most likely I am going to be forced to learn MS VC++ because of college requirements in January! :)

umm forgive me if this is TOTALY WRONG but if your asking y your dos programs pop and then disapear real quick its because you should have a system("pause); as the last line before your return statement in the main function other wise the computer runs through your whole code in a split second and then takes it off the screen

Run it from within cmd.exe (or command.exe). If you're using cin to stop the application from returning and it isn't working, try flushing the standard input before calling cin.get.

Quote:
Well I have used those before and you can not see the hello world statement! I need to know how do you keep the hello world statement up where you can see it, then I would be in buisness.

if this doesn't work then you are doing something wrong

#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout <<"hello world\n" <<endl;
system("pause");

return 0;
}

Quote:
Ok and again all I can see is press any key to continue. How can I get to see Hello World. All I did was copy and paste from your code.

are you using dev-c++ or visualc++?

Quote:
devc++.9.9.0

Im not sure Ive nvere used version 9.9.0 but there should be a white peice of paper click on it then try my code out.

Quote:
Well what compiler do you use Hothead?

I used to use dev-c++ version9.7.0, but now I use visual c++.net.