opengl game programming

Started by
6 comments, last by Myopic Rhino 19 years, 5 months ago
i was reading up on nehe and figured that i gotta get a book, so i was wondering if "opengl game programming" is any good?
Advertisement
When I first got it I thought it was great, in retrospect I don't think so at all. It glazed over the math and a lot of the workings of OpenGL to the point that I had to relearn OGL practically from scratch. Some topics definitely have good coverage, but the book isn't very balanced.

"There is no dark side of the moon really,
As a matter of fact, its all dark."
I have a similar feeling toward the book and would recommend just picking up the Red Book or i think its online so no need to buy it!
- Lurking
I liked the Red Book and this one. I'm not just mentioning the second because of the authors, it really is a good book.
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.
ok, so are you saying skip this book completely?

anyway woodsman, that book looks like it doesn't cover nearly as much stuff as the other one
Quote:Original post by happypirate
ok, so are you saying skip this book completely?

anyway woodsman, that book looks like it doesn't cover nearly as much stuff as the other one

It really is a great book. Well written, and it starts slow enough for a complete beginner (to OpenGL) and gets to advanced topics fairly quickly, but slowly enough to understand if you have no previous knowledge.

Each chapter also has sample questions for you to try on your own, with all answers in the appendix.

At first I didn't really like it, but it's a nice book.
Things change.
how deep is deep? judging from the chapter listings it looks like it doesn;t go much further then texture mapping. ive already made a pretty sweet pong useing nehe
Beginning OpenGL Game Programming is definitely more complete in its coverage of OpenGL than OpenGL Game Programming was. Also, eight chapters from OGLGP are included on the CD, so for half the price, it's a better value.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement