Mesh Question

Started by
3 comments, last by steg 19 years, 5 months ago
Hi, everybody, actually I am a beginner and I start to write DirectX recently. Now, I start to learn what is mesh. I have several question want to know that: 1. If we want to make a large game, should we use mesh instead of use only vertex buffer written by myself. as you know, some example on beignner such as triangle,rectangle, their vertex is written by myself. is the game the same ? or we must need to use mesh? 2. Where can I found more detail about mesh? 3. If I need to use mesh, what tools should I use is more easily?Becuase I want to make a maze My english is not good. but I hope you can undestand what I mean and help me this problem. Thank you very much ^^
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by GDMichael
Hi, everybody, actually I am a beginner and I start to write DirectX recently.

Hey there. I'm fairly new in the area too, but hopefully I can help you out.

Quote:1. If we want to make a large game, should we use mesh instead of use only vertex buffer written by myself. as you know, some example on beignner such as triangle,rectangle, their vertex is written by myself. is the game the same ? or we must need to use mesh?

To my understanding (please correct me by all means if I'm quite wrong), a Mesh in DX is a class that contains a vertex buffer, and other things that optimize the Mesh. Since optimization is generally a good thing, I'd go for using Meshes.

Quote:2. Where can I found more detail about mesh?

People don't like I hear it, but I'll say it: Google and/or MSDN. :)

Quote:3. If I need to use mesh, what tools should I use is more easily?Becuase I want to make a maze

Not really sure what your asking for here. What sort of tools are we talking about, here?
3. What tools can I make a mesh ?
Quote:Original post by GDMichael
3. What tools can I make a mesh ?

Uhm. You mean external third-party tools, or D3D helper classes for Meshes? If you need tools for actually modeling a Mesh for a .X file, then there's plenty around (3ds max, Milkshape, gmax, etc). If it's the latter, then MSDN or the DXSDK docs can help you out.
Take a look at :

D3DXLoadMeshFromX
ID3DXMesh
ID3DXPMesh ( Progrssive meshes )

This should get you started with .x files.

Regards,
Steve

PS - look at the sticky in this forum on x-file tutorials.

If it isn't working, take a bath, have a think and try again...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement