Sign in to follow this  
ctaclas

syntax error trying to create d3d interface

hi, i'm trying to make my own class to do everything d3d related... i'm off to a bad start though, i'm trying to set up an LPDIRECT3D9 and it tells me its missing a semicolon. i'm pretty sure it's something else, i don't think it's missing a semicolon. i just can't see the error... i included relevent code and the compiler output thanks header file
#ifndef D3DOBJ_H
#define D3DOBJ_H

#include <d3d9.h>

class Cd3dobj
{
public:
	Cd3dobj(void);
	~Cd3dobj(void);
	bool init(HWND hwnd);
private:
	LPDIRECT3D9			pD3D;
	LPDIRECT3DDevice9	pd3dDevice;
};

#endif

cpp file
#include "d3dobj.h"

Cd3dobj::Cd3dobj(void)
{
	pD3D = NULL;
	p3dDevice = NULL;
}

Cd3dobj::init(HWND hwnd)
{
	if( ( pD3D = Direct3DCreate9(D3DSDK_VERSION) ) == NULL )
		return false;
	else return true;
}

Cd3dobj::~Cd3dobj(void)
{
}

Compiling... d3dobj.cpp c:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Direct3d\d3dobj.h(14) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'pd3dDevice' c:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Direct3d\d3dobj.h(14) : error C2501: 'Cd3dobj::LPDIRECT3DDevice9' : missing storage-class or type specifiers c:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Direct3d\d3dobj.h(14) : error C2501: 'Cd3dobj::pd3dDevice' : missing storage-class or type specifiers c:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Direct3d\d3dobj.cpp(6) : error C2065: 'p3dDevice' : undeclared identifier c:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Direct3d\d3dobj.cpp(10) : error C2556: 'int Cd3dobj::init(HWND)' : overloaded function differs only by return type from 'bool Cd3dobj::init(HWND)' c:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Direct3d\d3dobj.h(11) : see declaration of 'Cd3dobj::init' c:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Direct3d\d3dobj.cpp(10) : error C2371: 'Cd3dobj::init' : redefinition; different basic types c:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Direct3d\d3dobj.h(11) : see declaration of 'Cd3dobj::init' c:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Direct3d\d3dobj.cpp(11) : error C2065: 'D3DSDK_VERSION' : undeclared identifier Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Direct3d\Debug\BuildLog.htm" Direct3d - 7 error(s), 0 warning(s) ---------------------- Done ---------------------- Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped

The problem with the missing semicolon is that there is an identifier that the compiler doesn't know (LPDIRECT3DDevice9 in that case). Try using LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 instead.

thanks, hehe i just needed another set of eyes to catch that :)

originally i had it as LPDirect3DDevice, then i fixed it to LPDIRECT3DDevice

once i fixed it completely i was able to chase down the other bugs in it so it compiles now

thanks a lot :)

Same error I get, but I'm using the correct names for my variable types. Check out my thread, I need some help!