Sign in to follow this  
yuppies

Shaders?

im just curious, Do I really need to Study shaders in DX to make a cool game? Im having a hard time looking for some tutorials on how to implements shaders in DX

Quote:
Original post by yuppies
im just curious, Do I really need to Study shaders in DX to make a cool game?

Im having a hard time looking for some tutorials on how to implements shaders in DX

Implementing any shader in dx or any other platform is very easy.
THe hard part is knowing the maths and techniques behind shaders.

First make yourself comfortable with the graphics pipeline. After a time you'll undoubtedly start to realise limitations of the fixed-function pipeline. Until then you are probably better off with the fixed-funtion, instead of trying to learn the shaders just for the sake of it.

If you are using DirectX9 then you can now use High-level shading language to program vertex and pixel shaders, if using Directx8.x then shaders are written in a low-level shader language. Obvioulsy using HLSL over assembly language to write shader programs has all the advantages of using a high level language.

I'd do a search on HLSL in google if you are interested in this.

Regards,
Steve

It's not absolutely vital, but it looks really nice I would definately recommend it. Once you get the basics down and understand the pipeline it's a lot easier than it may look. There aren't a lot of good tutorials unfortunately (especially when it comes to post-effects and render targets) -- but if you look at the stuff that comes with RenderMonkey or FX Composer you should be able to figure it out from there. And I'm always happy to answer any questions you may have if you can't find answers that you need ;)

ofcourse you should learn them because there many effects out there that you cant implement them with the fixed function pipeline.
one the other hand many optimization algorythms should be done with shaders . you can use HLSL for writting effects or PS&VS its ease of use can help you for making good effects.

"game programming is freaking hard" <- from the book 'game coding complete'