Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Valavanis

What is your favourite programming language

Quote:
Original post by antareus
I prefer assembly all the way. C++ is way too high level for games, I lose a ton of performance.

C++ isn't high-level, it's "lower-middle level", you could make an entire OS in C++(Not counting the bootloader). If you want to have programs that are faster, make it in C++, then optimize the assembly code

Games: C/C++, although I haven't really tried to write a game in anything else.

Web: PHP. I activated the php module for my apache server last night, and read through w3c's php tutorial, and man am I impressed! Such a great language. I'm redoing my entire site in php.

Scripting: Perl. I think Perl is awesome because it has so much power built in to it. Hash tables, regexp's, etc.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Befunge - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Befunge
or
Intercal - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercal
Can't decide.

My personal preference is C#. I like the fact that I can write a program in C# in less than half the time it takes me to write the same application in C++ with negligible performance drops. This may be due to the fact that I know C# better but if that's the case then I'd say that's also a benefit of C#. I've been working with C++ for about 7 years, C# for about two and I feel more comfortable expressing myself in C#.

Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by antareus
I prefer assembly all the way. C++ is way too high level for games, I lose a ton of performance.

C++ isn't high-level, it's "lower-middle level", you could make an entire OS in C++(Not counting the bootloader). If you want to have programs that are faster, make it in C++, then optimize the assembly code

Apparently the sarcasm tag isn't in the HTML 4.01 Transitional Specification. I will contact the W3C and check if it is under consideration.

The most fun I've had programming games was using BASIC.

Just to be happy generally programming I use Python.

Most of my programming duties are using C++ which I also like immensely.

Delphi - quick knocked-up helper apps/prototypes
C++ - current project
Python - project scripting and sometimes the odd quick prototype

It depends. I wouldn't classify any language as my favorite, but if you mean the one I use most often that would be C++(because I already know C++ very well). If you mean the language I found most fun, I'd have to say assembly (at least on the x86, z80, and 68k). If you mean the most powerful language, I'd say Common Lisp.

The problem is that none of the above languages are a pleasure to program in, and with any of them I end up fighting the language. With Common Lisp, though, the reason for the fightnig is that I haven't dedicated enough time to write my own base library in it. I feel that once I get that done (if I ever do), that I'll be able to thoroughly enjoy it =-) Either that, or I just need to write my own Lisp dialect that fits my style.

coding the speady part of an app/game in c++, which is the small part. doing the game logic, ai and all that stuff using my own scripting/programming language.

java is too slow.
assembler is fast but no more that far ahead of c/c++ as it has been one.
delphi seems to be ok but i never used it though... *cough*payware*cough*.

My favorites are C++ and x86 assembly (I have never tried another than x86, that is why). For the most of my code I prefer C++, but if I want to optimize by myself, I am using assembly.

Actually I consider C++ as the best programming language for programming games, but my favourite is Delphi with a bit of inline assembly code, just because I'm not very good in C++, at least not as good as someone must be to deal easily with complex programming. I wonder if worth it to switch to C++ when I've wrote a lot of (gaming) code in Delphi. I also wonder if performance is much better in C++ compared to Delphi. When I really need something to run fast I switch to assembly. Could I 've had better performance in C++?

i guess this doesn't vary much between those too. c++ is just a better known child in the wild but otherwise i would set them on par.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ruby is my favorite language currently
My dream language would be a lower level Ruby (compiled with easier access to memory, pointers, and the like) with easy bindings to normal Ruby VM and C libraries)

For games, I like C++ and Python. C++ for the core graphics and math components, Python for almost everything else (AI, physics, GUI, etc).

Quote:
Original post by Jimmy Valavanis
I'd like to know what is your favourite programming language, when programming games.

Whichever gets the job done the quickest with the least amount of performance hit. [grin]

For what I'm doing VB.NET is sufficient. C# is ok, but it's not nearly as easy to whip something up as VB.NET is. If I were doing a AAA game, I'd use C++ or possibly C# of course.

Quote:
Original post by ontheheap
Games: C/C++, although I haven't really tried to write a game in anything else.

Web: PHP. I activated the php module for my apache server last night, and read through w3c's php tutorial, and man am I impressed! Such a great language. I'm redoing my entire site in php.

Scripting: Perl. I think Perl is awesome because it has so much power built in to it. Hash tables, regexp's, etc.

PHP also has some interesting regexp functions. ereg is PHP's regular expression comparison, where preg is actually the same function as done in PERL. Also, ereg_replace is PHP's regular expression replacement function, much like a regex str_replace.

It's a toolbox; I use the right tool for the job. Most commonly, those tools are:

Shell scripting: Ultra-quick one-off toolchains.
Java: One-offs that I expect to reuse, and want to make robust versions of. Also for J2ME.
Lua: Scripting.
C++: Workhorse, for code that needs to be ultra-efficient and/or needs to interface with 3rd-party libraries.
MAXscript: I hate this but am occasionally forced to use it.
Awk: Extremely useful for file parsing/summarization. It's more or less replaced PERL for me.

I'll second some of Sneftel's picks

- I use C++ primarily.
- Lua is an awsome scripting language, and its got a good following among professional game programmers so its a bonus to know!!
- I use perl for most text parsing and schell scripting as a basic glue code.

bye the way does anyone know of another lanugage with a good grep implementation other than perl and C#?

Cheers
Chris