What is your favourite programming language

Started by
23 comments, last by MrEvil 19 years, 5 months ago
Delphi - quick knocked-up helper apps/prototypes
C++ - current project
Python - project scripting and sometimes the odd quick prototype
Advertisement
It depends. I wouldn't classify any language as my favorite, but if you mean the one I use most often that would be C++(because I already know C++ very well). If you mean the language I found most fun, I'd have to say assembly (at least on the x86, z80, and 68k). If you mean the most powerful language, I'd say Common Lisp.

The problem is that none of the above languages are a pleasure to program in, and with any of them I end up fighting the language. With Common Lisp, though, the reason for the fightnig is that I haven't dedicated enough time to write my own base library in it. I feel that once I get that done (if I ever do), that I'll be able to thoroughly enjoy it =-) Either that, or I just need to write my own Lisp dialect that fits my style.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
coding the speady part of an app/game in c++, which is the small part. doing the game logic, ai and all that stuff using my own scripting/programming language.

java is too slow.
assembler is fast but no more that far ahead of c/c++ as it has been one.
delphi seems to be ok but i never used it though... *cough*payware*cough*.

Life's like a Hydra... cut off one problem just to have two more popping out.
Leader and Coder: Project Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

My favorites are C++ and x86 assembly (I have never tried another than x86, that is why). For the most of my code I prefer C++, but if I want to optimize by myself, I am using assembly.
Actually I consider C++ as the best programming language for programming games, but my favourite is Delphi with a bit of inline assembly code, just because I'm not very good in C++, at least not as good as someone must be to deal easily with complex programming. I wonder if worth it to switch to C++ when I've wrote a lot of (gaming) code in Delphi. I also wonder if performance is much better in C++ compared to Delphi. When I really need something to run fast I switch to assembly. Could I 've had better performance in C++?

i guess this doesn't vary much between those too. c++ is just a better known child in the wild but otherwise i would set them on par.

Life's like a Hydra... cut off one problem just to have two more popping out.
Leader and Coder: Project Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

Ruby is my favorite language currently
My dream language would be a lower level Ruby (compiled with easier access to memory, pointers, and the like) with easy bindings to normal Ruby VM and C libraries)
For games, I like C++ and Python. C++ for the core graphics and math components, Python for almost everything else (AI, physics, GUI, etc).
CoV
Precedural-C
Inline Assembly.
Quote:Original post by Jimmy Valavanis
I'd like to know what is your favourite programming language, when programming games.

Whichever gets the job done the quickest with the least amount of performance hit. [grin]

For what I'm doing VB.NET is sufficient. C# is ok, but it's not nearly as easy to whip something up as VB.NET is. If I were doing a AAA game, I'd use C++ or possibly C# of course.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement