What is your favourite programming language

Started by
23 comments, last by MrEvil 19 years, 5 months ago
I'd like to know what is your favourite programming language, when programming games. I really want to know how popular is C#, VB, Delphi, etc against the standard of C/C++.
Advertisement
for me, it's pretty much a tie between C++ and Java
You might be interested in these past polls that were run on the frontpage:

"What language do you prefer to use for games?"
"Next to C++, what other language do you use the most?"
I prefer assembly all the way. C++ is way too high level for games, I lose a ton of performance.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
Quote:Original post by antareus
I prefer assembly all the way. C++ is way too high level for games, I lose a ton of performance.

C++ isn't high-level, it's "lower-middle level", you could make an entire OS in C++(Not counting the bootloader). If you want to have programs that are faster, make it in C++, then optimize the assembly code
Games: C/C++, although I haven't really tried to write a game in anything else.

Web: PHP. I activated the php module for my apache server last night, and read through w3c's php tutorial, and man am I impressed! Such a great language. I'm redoing my entire site in php.

Scripting: Perl. I think Perl is awesome because it has so much power built in to it. Hash tables, regexp's, etc.
Befunge - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Befunge
or
Intercal - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercal
Can't decide.
My personal preference is C#. I like the fact that I can write a program in C# in less than half the time it takes me to write the same application in C++ with negligible performance drops. This may be due to the fact that I know C# better but if that's the case then I'd say that's also a benefit of C#. I've been working with C++ for about 7 years, C# for about two and I feel more comfortable expressing myself in C#.
Quote:Original post by Roboguy
Quote:Original post by antareus

C++ isn't high-level, it's "lower-middle level", you could make an entire OS in C++(Not counting the bootloader). If you want to have programs that are faster, make it in C++, then optimize the assembly code

Apparently the sarcasm tag isn't in the HTML 4.01 Transitional Specification. I will contact the W3C and check if it is under consideration.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
The most fun I've had programming games was using BASIC.

Just to be happy generally programming I use Python.

Most of my programming duties are using C++ which I also like immensely.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement