Making an OpenGL game, need it to work on Mac/PC..

Started by
15 comments, last by zedzeek 19 years, 5 months ago
I'm sorry if this has been posted before, which it probably has, but the search on this site is easily the worst I have ever seen. It refuses to work, and I refuse to work with it. Anywho, I am making a physics edutainment game for high school physics AP classes under the 'guidance' of my University. I NEED it to be cross-platform, hence OpenGL, but I can't seem to find anything telling me how to get it to work on Macs and PCs at the same time, so is this possible? I have used GLUT, but this was for PC only, and I am not sure GLUT works on Mac.. So, if someone could shed some light into my dim mind I would be much appreciative! I would obviously like to make as little changes as necessary to get the program to work on Mac from PC. Thanks! [Edited by - Alex Swinney on November 16, 2004 9:26:16 AM]
I WISH SOMEONE WOULD FIX THE DAMNED LOGIN!
Advertisement
http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

That's a cross platform library that works on both Windows and Mac (among others). You will still need to compile different executables for each platform though.
GLUT works on Mac, Windows, and most of the UNIX flavors(including MacOSX) and possibly a few other OSes

"Unofficial ports, ports in progress:
o Solaris, IRIX, FreeBSD
o MacOS "

Is there anything 'official'? Or is the documentation out of date?

See, I have no Mac to speak of, and with that said, have no Mac compiler, so if I start developing on this platform, and later find out that it won't work...I'm SOL. I don't want to be SOL.;)

Thanks!
Quote:Original post by Roboguy
GLUT works on Mac, Windows, and most of the UNIX flavors(including MacOSX) and possibly a few other OSes

What do I need to do to get it to work on MacOSX? Also, is there anything that allows me to get it to work with older versions of Mac OS? I mean, do I just need to get drivers and install them on the machine?
This looks like it might help.
Quote:Original post by Alex Swinney
Quote:Original post by Roboguy

What do I need to do to get it to work on MacOSX? Also, is there anything that allows me to get it to work with older versions of Mac OS? I mean, do I just need to get drivers and install them on the machine?

1) Nothing, your code doesn't need to be ported if it just uses OpenGL and GLUT(if it uses other, windows-only libraries, it will need to be ported)
2) Not sure, but I think most people use OSX(myself included)
3) Do you mean on the developers machine, or the users? On the developers machine, it needs to be installed and on the user's machine, it depends on wether it's statically or dynamically linked

good luck on your game
FYI, the developers' tools in OSX (including Xcode) are free. Also, GLUT is available in OS9 and OSX, although there may be some issues here and there.

Unless someone insists on it, I wouldn't worry about OS9 and just focus on OSX. Although a lot of people still use OS9 (myself included sometimes), Apple really isn't supporting it any more. So developing in OS9 is kind of a pain.

Also look into SDL, which is cross-platform (maybe that's already been mentioned).

If you use the right libraries, you should be able to make all your code cross-platform without changes. However, you'll still of course have to get set up in a development environment on each platform in question and compile the appropriate binary.
Don't listen to anyone here. I have expirience with both GLUT and SDL. GLUT is alright for making test apps' (though I still think SDL is better). But if you are making a game, don't waste time with GLUT, SDL all the way. If it helps your decision, UT2003, UT2004 and many other profeshional games use SDL.

-- I waz here --
They do? I thought the UT's just used OGL, and used OS-specific initialization code and ported it to each other OS they wanted it to run on... SDL is probably a bit too slow for them...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement