constant updates are scaring me

Started by
10 comments, last by EddHead 19 years, 5 months ago
The work you guys are doing here is great but dont you think you should pause for a second and make the system more robust? From what I see, with every update comes new bugs and possibly some of the previously working parts break down. It is also scary for me ( me being a person who wants to start a big scale integration of the scripting system to their main code ) since every time I tell myself "with this version I'll start doing this" but a couple days later comes a new patch or WIP that fixes some issues. I really like AS and its progresssion but I think there should be a release around which we can call "stable and bug free with this and that features". Don't you think?
Advertisement
I agree with you in that there is a need to have a version that can be called stable and bug free.

Now that I've started working on version 2.0.0, version 1.10.x will be maintained as a stable version. It will receive the necessary support for bug fixes and only minor improvements.

There will most likely be a version 1.11.x as well, but I promise I will still keep version 1.10.x around and apply bug fixes as they are found.

This will give me some more work, as I will have to maintain 3 different versions, but I think that AngelScript has now grown to a level where it is a necessity. It has a pretty large user base, and it has in my opinion all the necessary features for a useful scripting language.

1.10.1 will be the first version to be called stable, you may start using the WIP already as I won't make any more feature changes.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Yes you're absolutly right.

The problem is that a lot of people mean a lot of request.

And as the AS author is a very kind people, he answers yes to ... about everything.

This is why, when AS introduce 1.10.x I have decided to not upgrading to. I had at this moment a very bad fealling about the change that were made and, sad to say, that it was not a so bad fealling.

Nowaday I wont change the AS engine I have integrated in my project since it is a "relatively stable" (no bug) version.

What you should do is ask yourself what you are looking into a scripting engine. If AS match your requests, try to make some simple tests. If you succeed then keep the version you were testing with and do your job.

Of course, this way, you wont make AS change a lot, also, you wont see your nickname to the long debugger listing. It's a kind of selfish GPLed integration.

From my experience, I have not make AS change a lot, but I have give it a lot debug.

AbrKen.
Quote:Original post by abrken
And as the AS author is a very kind people, he answers yes to ... about everything.

Perhaps that truly is the biggest problem I have [wink]

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

That's exactly the same problem i am facing as well, I got stuck at 1.7.1 when i was working on our game, and i have never found time ever since, When i tried to upgrade to 1.8.x it caused some crashes and i have never been able to move up til then, perhaps Witchlord should define a set of features and stop at that for a while making sure it's robust and move to constant Major version updates hence making integration easy for developers starting with AS.
Jayanth.KRaptor Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.http://www.raptorentertainment.com---------------------------------------------------------Why Mr. Anderson? Why? ...Why keep fighting? Do you think you're fighting for something - for more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom, or truth, perhaps peace, could it be for love? Illusions Mr. Anderson, vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence without meaning or purpose.
It's decided then. 1.10.1 will be the first stable version of AngelScript.

Quote:Original post by WitchLord
It's decided then. 1.10.1 will be the first stable version of AngelScript.

That's really a great news !

For your information, today I have presented my project to someone that will chose our product to be in Los Angeles Airport in the near future. It will let users choose a renting car company or an hotel or whatever they like and do a phone call to what they choose.

Also, my project has been selected to be used in an embeded solution that will be in Lyon (France) city for bike renting.

The project I am working for is a kiosk solution with AS used like a &#106avascript to dinamically make the pages 'alive'.<br><br>Best regards<br><br>AbrKen.<br>
That is truly great news. Congratulations.

Any chance I can link to a web page describing your project soon?
If you only have a page in french, that is ok too.

Regards,
Andreas

Let's freeze on a set of features that 1.10.1 still needs then.
We should have some suggestions to help Andreas figure out what will be a final feature set of AS for MajorVersion 1(.10.1)

I have one:
* Debug Hooks to VC for using breakpoints
Jayanth.KRaptor Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.http://www.raptorentertainment.com---------------------------------------------------------Why Mr. Anderson? Why? ...Why keep fighting? Do you think you're fighting for something - for more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom, or truth, perhaps peace, could it be for love? Illusions Mr. Anderson, vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence without meaning or purpose.
This is a 3D screenshot of what it will be.

The 4 screens will handle kiosk with touch screen

The 2 big screens showing HERTZ will handle our homemade Airport TV channel (another software I have programmed)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement