Sign in to follow this  

using mouse input for 3D movement ??

This topic is 4775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am writing a small (practice) project dealing with movement of shapes...it involves moving the shape using mouse input (just X and Y) , in 3D (so we hv Z as well)...what is the best or rather standard approach for this... one approach could be to provide a shortkey key (say L,R,T,D,F,B) for each of the 6 views (left,right,top,down,front,back)...so if you are viewing shape from the top, mouse X,Y will move shape in X-Z plane...and so on...though am not sure if this will look very intuitive to a player... any other approach or any suggestion???...thanks...

Another idea would work if you want to be able to view your shapes at any angle (not just top, left, etc.). You could have a 3D cartesian tool (three line segments, each representing one axis, each in a different color preferably) which could be clicked (and/or shortcut-keyed) to enable/disable rotation around each axis. For example, if you want to move your shape along the XY-plane, simply lock the Z axis in place by clicking the Z-axis of the tool, and use the mouse to move around the XY-plane. Or to move around in the XZ-plane or YZ-plane, simply lock the Y or X axis of the tool.

That sounds a better approach...probably i can do away completely with keyboard use for moving shapes...or make
it as an alternative...anyway, thanks for the suggestion :)...

What I'm doing in my physics testing application is that my scroll wheel is considered the z axis. It's not as sensitive as the other axes, but it works. I also use keyboard keys wasd for the same movement as the mouse x/y, and ec for the z axis. Again, not as sensitive, but works. If you want to have something as sensitive you can try a 3 axis joystick (I haven't gotten around to that yet)...

controlling movement along third axis using wheel is good idea but we cant count on it that player will have a scroll mouse...
i am also doing movement using keyboard [4 arrow keys plus page up and page down for z-axis]...infact in my case key movement is more sensitive as compared to mouse...mine is an old mouse :)...

This topic is 4775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.