implementing SHR in ASM

Started by
2 comments, last by Arild Fines 19 years, 5 months ago
how can implement SHR in assembly?( without the SHR instructor, of course :-D) I thought I seperate each bit with AND and then get a new number, but this is way too long...
No Soup For You!Come Back 1 Year Later!
Advertisement
;stdcall dword shiftRight (dword number, dword shiftCount)shiftRight:  push ebp  mov ebp, esp    mov ebx, 2  mov ecx, [ebp + 12]  mov eax, [ebp + 8].divide:  xor edx, edx  div ebx  loop .divide  mov esp, ebp  pop ebp  ret 8

[smile]

This must be slow as hell [smile]

Oxyd
Can’t think why anyone would want to implement a SHR in assembler without actually using the SHR instruction! That’s why it’s there isn’t it?

However, the SHR shifts all the bits in a source operand by the number in the second operand, zeroising the top bits.

Repeated DIV by 2 of the source operand will do it as has been shown already.

Another option, if the number of shifts > 1, is to do a single DIV by 2 and then a SAR by 1 less than the number of desired shifts.

The SAR shifts to the right, but retains the existing value of the top bit. If you know your source operand has a zero top bit, a SAR has the same effect as a SHR.

StevieDon't follow me, I'm lost.
/me smells homework.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement