AngelScript 1.10.1 stable (2004/11/21) - bugfix (2004/11/22)

Started by
9 comments, last by abrken 19 years, 4 months ago
I've released a new version of AngelScript. It brings lot's of bug fixes, as well as improvements both to script language and library performance. The script language now has much improved rules for implicit casting, which should make it easier to write expressions. Basically any numeric type can be cast to any other numeric type implicitly. The assembler VM has received an overhaul making it perhaps 25% faster than the C++ VM. More modern CPU's may have a smaller performance increase though, because of the better pipelining and parallel execution. The library's compiler speed has also been greatly improved, the larger the script the more improvement. On a 5000 line script the improvement was on a factor of 10 times. Many people have also requested stable version of AngelScript so that they don't have to worry about the constant updates, and possibly breaking functionality when doing an upgrade to fix a bug in the library. I agree with them, and think this version of AngelScript is a suitable candidate for a stable version, as it has all the basic features needed to be a useful language. What this means is that even though I will continue to release new versions like before, AngelScript 1.10.1 will stay around and receive needed support and possible bug fixes. So if you are working on an important project and don't want to deal with constant updates and bugs this is the version for you. I'd also like to tell you that I've written a new article that gives detailed information on how to register objects. Hopefully it will be able to remove all your doubts on this subject. The next time I'll write an article on how to call script functions, passing arguments and getting return values, which is another area where people are having trouble. Rightly so I might add, the interface is much to complicated for my liking in this department. Something that I hope to improve in a future version. Regards, Andreas [Edited by - WitchLord on November 22, 2004 3:49:24 PM]

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Advertisement
I finally will find some time this week to install the new version. i hope i can finally get back in the flow
Jayanth.KRaptor Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.http://www.raptorentertainment.com---------------------------------------------------------Why Mr. Anderson? Why? ...Why keep fighting? Do you think you're fighting for something - for more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom, or truth, perhaps peace, could it be for love? Illusions Mr. Anderson, vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence without meaning or purpose.
I hope you can. AngelScript has improved alot since 1.7.1.

If you have any doubts about the upgrade let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

After 1 hour of hard work I finally implemented this version in my project.

From 1.9.2 there was some change like new asIScriptEngine interface, also DEPRECATED function and other ... But this time I didn't have to change #include "../include/angelscript" in many header files, just one ! Really good !

Also, after a little test case, this version seams much faster than the previous ones (sorry I can't tell how much but beleive me, it IS) both on build and execute.

I did only get one Assert that I beleive it's because of my application, when releasing the engine.

So next step will be to make a full test, but for today it's enought, now I'm going home !

Best Regards,

AbrKen.
Yes, I listened to your advice on the include file, this was the best solution I could find.

I'm happy that you noticed the difference in performance, I worked very hard on that.

I'm also pleased to hear that there where no major obstacles when doing the upgrade. Let me know if you find any bugs.

Regards,
Andreas

The first bug has been found. The tokenizer wasn't able to handle string constants ending with two backslashes. You'll find the fix here:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=284223

AS 1.10.1 has been patched and my program has well passed all the script samples I have yet made.

So this is a link to my project installer (change the extension from .Zexe to .exe when saving to disk and run it).
You need XP to run the application.
All the applications, actually are in french language.

Try to unzip the "Sample SAMS Kiosk Editor" and open TextXPN3.xml, there is a lot of sample scripts.

Any comment will be welcomed.

AbrKen.
abrken:

Can I post a link to your SAMS project on the AngelScript users list?

Yes you can, but I don't think it's a great place to surf to !
There is only a simple page and no explanation about what SAMS is.

Did you succeed in downloading SAMS Kiosk Editor ?
I don't mind. I will give a short description on my site. I'm sure you will improve the site in the future in order to better promote your product.

I haven't downloaded the Kiosk Editor yet, because I'm currently at work. Besides I don't have XP here at work, only at home.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement