Sign in to follow this  
ChristianM

Unity [.net] DX9.0 Shaders C# and my engine, need helps

ChristianM    122
Help, I have reached a brick wall =/ For a couple months now I have been fiddling with DX9.0 and C#. I am very fond of shaders. I can get them to work just fine and it all looks nice. But it becomes a problem when I want to use them with a real application, mainly a game. The more stuff you ad the more you have to organize and think ahead. I tend to think ahead to far and lose sight of what really needs to be done. Anyways looking for a simple solution I looked at Game engines for c# and DX 9.0 found some nice ones but they all have something in common. They are all to complicated to use, very professional like, technical, and it scares away the average Joe (me). So go figure, my solution was to write a simple game engine. Something that will use shaders to render everything. It has a common ‘object3d’ class that represents a render-able 3d object. It has a ‘shader’ class that holds a shader(or effect in this case) with handles to all its inputs. It has a render manager that goes down the list of shaders loads them up one by one and renders all the objects that use the specifically loaded shader setting all the textures and passes as needed. Oh I also have a camera class that holds all the projection matrices. Awsome I have a simple DX Engine in fact that’s what I called it SimpleDX. So in my quest for optimization so that I may have something that I am proud of, can give to the community and use whit a big smile. I reached an information barrier. I need a few questions answered. 1. Has anyone developed a simple engine already ?? I haven’t found anyhitng in the last few months. The only one close to what I wanted was bunnz Purple#, but that’s gone =( 2. Is there any advantage to using a mesh in this case ?? I want to use vertex buffers(its an array so it plural) because I am feeding the shader with custom vertex’s. why would I use Materials ?? I was thinking I can set stuff like Material defuse and Ambient color as parameters in object3d. 3. lots of people have tutorials on how to use a shader, but no one explains shaders in real world environment where you render a whole map and players and load different shaders. Well my question is what steps is my application supposed to take to render a game map for example with shaders… in pseudo, what steps and procedures would I need to do ?? I am thinking I might need a object3dmap but that would break my ‘simpleDX’ pattern. Ok it was less questions than I thought… this is the first time I ever ask about any programming related stuff on a forums so be gentle , no ones got to answer everything and links are just fine , I d rather read the answer and figure it out on my own then have to ask anyone to do stuff for me.

Saruman    4339
Quote:
Original post by ChristianM
1. Has anyone developed a simple engine already ?? I haven’t found anyhitng in the last few months. The only one close to what I wanted was bunnz Purple#, but that’s gone =(

What do you mean it's gone? you mean this?

ChristianM    122
oops yeah your right , the engine is still there but the guy isnt working on it any more , he used to actively work on it and talk on the forums at his site www.bunnz.com but that’s been gone for a few months.

but like i said both of these engines are overly complicated. i am looking to make a simpler engine. i found one earlier called "MCDX". its what i want to do but in 3d. that engine is only 2d. but very simple to use

http://mcdx.sourceforge.net/