A reminder for posting in For Beginners

Started by
74 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 9 months ago
This forum is for beginners ("newbies") to ask questions without being slapped around because someone more experienced decides they should already know the answer. If you want to make a reply ask yourself: - Am I being helpful? (Yes) - Am I guiding them in the right direction if they are misguided? (Yes) - Am I taunting them, flaming them or insulting them because they didn't know the answer, didn't know the supporting material or just seemed lost? (NO!) People who abuse the purpose of this forum will be punished - warning level increases, suspensions and in the case of sysmatic flaming, bans will be handed out for all offenses. There will be no discussion as to the merit of your post - excuses of posts being a joke, or that the poster deserved it will fall on deaf ears.
Advertisement
I support your proposal, as I agree it's unjust and impolite to be rude needlessly, especially here in the newbie forum, but I was under the impression that the rating system was designed for this purpose? Is this stricter treatment for this forum only? I sort of hope it spans to the other forums as well.
Quote:Original post by serratemplar
I support your proposal, as I agree it's unjust and impolite to be rude needlessly, especially here in the newbie forum, but I was under the impression that the rating system was designed for this purpose? Is this stricter treatment for this forum only? I sort of hope it spans to the other forums as well.

A) Not a proposal. This is how it has always been and will continue to be, it is the purpose stated by Dave when he first created this forum. I am simple reiterating it due to some activity not in line with this (hence the subject, "reminder")

B) The rating system was designed to reduce crap posting and encourage productive behavoir; ratings are not a rule, but a gentle prod in the right direction. The rules in For Beginners are absolute, not suggestions.

This does not extend to other forums. While similar rules exist for all forums, there is some degree of "grey", in both the definition of breach and in punishment to be decided by moderators on a case by case basis. In For Beginners there is no grey - if you post anything resembling a flame or insult, you will be punished.
Quote:Original post by Rhaal
Does posting the comics count?

While you might use your own judgement, I would suggest against it. The GD comic is meant to be funny, and in most cases it is joking about something, whether it be an absurdity, a common nitpick, etc. Posting a joke in a For Beginners question is very unlikely to be helpful to the OP. More likely, the comic would ridicule that person - which no matter how light is the exact thing this forum is not supposed to be.
Sounds good to me. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Bravo and big kudos to the Gamedev staff!

The beginner's forum is for beginners. As written in one of the more recent posts here (by Vampyre_Dark) nobody is asking anybody to go out of their way to look in this section to be inconvenienced by newcomers who are just asking for directions.
Yeah well done! Too often do I see a new person who wants to make games getting flamed because of their lack of knowledge on the subject. Obviously these people who do the flaming were just born with the knowledge and did not start at the bottom.
ok.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
This is something that has messed up this forum for a lot of people. Luckilly, there were those who understood the point of it, and I'm glas you clearified it for those who still don't.

Newbies need help, so they post here. Not because they're stupid idiots.
Quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
Newbies need help, so they post here. Not because they're stupid idiots.

Correct. and if they need help, be so friendly to give them help. the only reason for not helping is if they are not friendly (swears excetra). i KNOW it looks incredibly fun if someone tells he wants to create something near the level of quacke for his first game, but PLEASE tell him its not gonna happen instead of laughing :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement