A reminder for posting in For Beginners

Started by
74 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 9 months ago
I am all for it.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[AirBash.com]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Rhaal
I am not all for moderators searching through pages and pages of post history in light of this, after the fact, and issuing penalties.

Unless you have drawn attention on yourself by acting like a jerk, it's highly unlikely mods would bother going over your history to see if you've flamed somebody two years ago.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
a newbie like me appreciates this, THANKS!!!...so what advice you got for me?
Grim_reaper7Lamp Geekz
to tell everybody the truth, i've been programming for 3 years and sadly, i still struggle with programmng
gigabytes? HA! too small time! terrabytes, petabytes? fah, come on! exabytes, zettabytes? getting "warmer!" yottabytes, not even nonabytes! i'm talkin' doggabytes, thats my league!
Grim: game programming is very complex, so make sure you get a good (1000+ pages) book about it

Samaanc: my best advice is also a good book (only if you dont get what you are doing, or if you arent a ligh on programming yet) but further, people even learn new stuff after 20 years of programming :) especially if thet create 3d games. that changes so fast, that you are continuesly learning :)
Quote:Original post by Red Falcon
Grim: game programming is very complex, so make sure you get a good (1000+ pages) book about it

Page count is in no way a quality metric. I'd much rather have a short, dense book than pages after pages of inane filler and IDE screenshots.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I appreciate this, too. Thought I've been around for some time, there are areas I need to be helped out. This seems to be eveyone else's case...
to add on the "being helpfull" part maybe a "don't confuse newbees with detail" could be added i mean how many time do they have to get soo many diferent answers? look at any what language to use thread & imagine the newbee's head when he gets told there are 56652541235413 choice & to pick by himself depending on his needs

here's a clue for those that forgot theyr newbee times those people want to start making games they don't "know" how to pick it by themselves & whilst other choices can make sence (& thus are an option) i have yet to see someone disagree that C++ is a good choice... now remember no one cares if there are other good choices but this one being pretty much agreed everywhere... couldn't this be a rule to tell every newbee who ask what language to start with that they should start with c++?
Quote:Original post by Fruny
Quote:Original post by Red Falcon

Page count is in no way a quality metric. I'd much rather have a short, dense book than pages after pages of inane filler and IDE screenshots.

it was just an example to tell programming isnt something that is very easy. i hopes it would get out things: I want to create HALO3 for my first program :)
Quote:Original post by ranakor
to add on the "being helpfull" part maybe a "don't confuse newbees with detail" could be added i mean how many time do they have to get soo many diferent answers? look at any what language to use thread & imagine the newbee's head when he gets told there are 56652541235413 choice & to pick by himself depending on his needs

here's a clue for those that forgot theyr newbee times those people want to start making games they don't "know" how to pick it by themselves & whilst other choices can make sence (& thus are an option) i have yet to see someone disagree that C++ is a good choice... now remember no one cares if there are other good choices but this one being pretty much agreed everywhere... couldn't this be a rule to tell every newbee who ask what language to start with that they should start with c++?

A better approach would be to first get a grasp of what the noob is trying to do, then suggest a language based on that.
- A momentary maniac with casual delusions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement